How can I get my child to behave and stop lying

My 7yr old still has the problem of talking too much and not listening but it has now gotten worse. She can't go 2 days without getting in trouble and it has escalated to non acceptable levels. To make matter worse she has taken to lying and trying to cover it up so she won't get in trouble, but as we all know, Moms will find out. I have talked to her repeatedly about honesty is the best ploicy and that if she lies that the punishment for anything will be increasingly worse than if she tells the truth and accepts her fate. I am at my wits end here. She has not been tested for ADHD but we are going tomorrow. I feel like a failure for drugging my kid but I know it helps some kids. I have to explore all avenues. Please tell me it gets better, or my sanity will be gone.

melissap463

Asked by melissap463 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't talk to her at all, but act. Be as harsh as you feel you have to, we went through a similar problem a few years ago so we showed her what could happen if she kept on lying, Boy who cried wolf style.

Also punishments are key. Restrict her. Restrict everything she enjoys consistently until she stops lying. Every time you catch punish her, have a measured punishment chart so she knows what's going to happen every single time and teach her how serious it is. We may seem harsh but we even showed videos of people who carried on lying when they were older and got into terrible situations, not too horrific, PG 13 type!

It just had to be stopped!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Just because you are frustrated and your child doesn't do what you want them to do, doesn't make them ADD. Medicating your kids so they do what you want just seems wrong.I'd say all my kids get in trouble about every two days on average. With raising a child I have learned that it's up and down with their behavior. They are little humans and have bad days just like us. Children are like heart monitors, the line on the screen goes up and down up and down, when it goes flat, it time to be concerned.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Explain to them what they are doing is wrong
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• it will get better after the doc vist
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Same thing with our daugher- 8 yrs old. Lying and not listening and lazy behaviors. We are consistant with our reaction and punishments. Still working on it, not sure what the answer is, but consistency always seems to work.
    laymai

Answer by laymai at 6:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010