10 weeks pregnant but no baby in the sac

well i went to the doctor yesterday and they did an ultrasound my uteras is measuring 10 weeks but they didnt see a baby.im freaking out.i go back next wensday to get another ultrasound and if they dont see anything they are goin to do a dnc.should i get a second oppinon?and wats going on?

Ashley L.

Asked by Ashley L. at 6:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think you should definitely get a 2nd opinion. I hope it all works out good for you. Hugs!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• – collapse
    Uh, if you're pregnant there is a baby, if there is no baby, you are not pregnant, that's it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Two things
    Just because your uterus measures ten weeks doesn't mean you are ten weeks. They go based off of statistical measurements for that time.

If you are in fact that far along and there is no baby, it's probably a blighted ovum and the doctor will keep an eye on it and do some bloodwork to confirm before giving medication to help you pass it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• This question was just asked like 5 minutes ago... If there is no baby at your 2nd one then you either miscarried or its an etopic pregnancy. I would be a little considered since youre already 10 weeks your can usually see the baby by then. Good Luck. Hope everything works out.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yea second opinon is always a good idea also my brother in law was susposed to be a twin there was two sacs and only one baby good luck though!!
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Anon, that is incorrect. OP, get a second opinion and maybe a third.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Normally, at 10 weeks they should be able to see something.... It sounds like you might have a blighted ovum (where the sac develops, but the fetus never does). If you want to be sure, you could ask for a quantitative blood test, where they will measure the HCG in your blood, and repeat the test 48 hours later. If the numbers go up, it's a good thing. If they stay the same or go down, it usually indicates a missed miscarriage.... I'm sorry :(

Also, you always have the option to refuse the DNC and wait a little while longer to see if you'll miscarry on your own.

I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum before I became pregnant with my son. I was about 12 weeks along. I started miscarrying a week after the diagnosis.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• btw you can be pregnant without a baby. A blighted ovum is where the egg and sperm meet and are fertilized but fails to develop any further. So you have a gestational sac, with an undeveloped embryo..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• kiansmommy, you don't know if she knew or not. That was sort of rude. There can still be a sac without a baby, it doesn't have to be ectopic. If it was ectopic they wouldn't have located a gestational sac.
    Anonymous

• Wow, anons are uneducated in this department? That was a really rude statement seeing as your statement wasn't too terribly educated kiansmom. I'm not the anon that said the rude comment by the way.
    Anonymous