How to fix my avocado plant?

have been growing an avocado plant for almost two years now. I started it from an avocado seed. It is about a foot and a half tall now and has many leaves and has been very successful.

This morning, my cat chewed it it half!! She chewed the stem clean in half. There has to be a way to fix this, I've invested so much time into this plant, it's going to break my heart if it dies now.

Is there anything I can do to save it? Can I put the top half (with the leaves on it) into a glass of water so it will grow new roots? Or do I just keep watering the stem and hope it can survive leafless? Should I try to graft it? Would it even work?

Please help!!

sweetheart1985

Asked by sweetheart1985 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It wouldn't hurt to try and root the top part, but I don't believe it will grow roots. I would nurse the base of the plant, I bet it will make new leaves. If you try to graft it, the top half will probably die.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would do both. Put the top half in water - since there are leaves and stem, it might grow roots. I woukd cut it clean though - and if it is really 'woody' I might shorten it to a softer stem section if possible. If at any time it starts to look gooey and rotting, chop that off a few inches and try again in a fresh cup of water.

I would slice the top chewing off and keep watering it as usual - maybe it will keep on going, as if it was just pinched.

Good luck! I never got mine to sprout!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010