Cake decorating

I have decided that I am tired of paying for cakes from Wal* Mart or any other bakery . I would really like to learn how to make my own even fondant ones. Do you ladies have any tips or tricks for me ? This will be my first temp , I have my boys Birthdays coming up in Jan and Feb. Would really love to make their cakes

Sheleekieije

Asked by Sheleekieije at 6:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• No clue but good luck! I'm sick of making cakes for my daughter, so I vowed to buy them from now on.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 6:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• sometimes places like AC Moore or Michaels will run cake decorating courses. Maybe one of those places can help you out
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• good luck they have plenty of how to books out there you can do it practice make perfect
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Hobby Lobby does decorating classes too!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm interested too! Thanks for the post.

Here is a website i found:
    http://www.monkeysee.com/play/15845-how-to-decorate-a-cake-with-fondant
    babylotus

Answer by babylotus at 6:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• this is by far the easiest instructions that I have found for fondant....it will take a few cakes to get it right but it is messy and fun :) Start out with easy ...maybe just a round cake at first to get your technique down. you can find all of the fun cutters and tools at micheals or just about any craft store
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am a home based amatuer cake decorator and I HATE fondant. It tastes nasty. Sure it's pretty but if it is just for birthdays and such I wouldn't bother with it. I use homemade butter cream for all mine and I can still do anything I attempt with it. I will use fondant for flowers and details but not to cover a whole cake. Go to Wilton's site, they have the best recipes
    melissap463

Answer by melissap463 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Joanne Crafts has free classes in cake decorating (at least around here, I'm in NE Ohio), as does Pat Cataans and Michaels. Check your local craft stores and see what they offer!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The link that I posted is for marshmallow fondant...it tastes MUCH better than the kind you buy at the store. It is made out of powdered sugar and marshmallows ;)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you ladies for all your tips and input
    Sheleekieije

Comment by Sheleekieije (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2010