Is it cheaper to make muffins, cup cakes and cakes from scratch or is it cheaper to buy premade mixes?

I am seriously asking this because baking ingredients are expensive and the prepackaged mixes seem more economical. I just want to know what you think about the difference in costs.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It is cheaper to buy box mixes. I usually look for buy one get one sales and stock up. I'm a retired chef. I taught pastry at the local Culinary college. So I do both, depending on my time, energy and finances. Better to make boxed mixes than make nothing at all.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It's cheaper to make them from scratch. Whereas the prepackaged mixes are cheaper by the box, in the long run you'll be spending more. Due to the fact that one box makes one/two bathces, whereas from scratch makes 10-20 batches. The ingredients may be more costly at the start, but in the long run you'll get more out of the products then from the prepackaged boxes. Even with the prepackaged mixes on sale you'll be saving more by making the products from scratch. You can also buy the store brand products, which work just the same if not better then the name brand. That will help you save money in the long run.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Once you have all the necessary baking items & ingredience you will and can male double or triple the amount you make from one mix-I bake healthy & rarely use a mix- I rarely buy any prepared foods---even dinners, I cook from scratch the old fashion way--I can feed a BIG group of people on less then 10.00 and have very healthy meals & desserts ! once you get started you will see the savings :-)
    HaloSue

Answer by HaloSue at 7:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Honestly? It's cheaper to buy the mixes, especially when they are on sale - especially for flavors like Red Velvet, or German Chocolate cake.

If you bake a lot, and always have standard supplies handy it may work out to be cheaper in the long run to make your own, but it doesn't sound like you stock your pantry that way. If you are an occasional baker, it makes more sense to buy the mixes.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• it is cheaper if you have everything needed on hand, eggs, oil, etc. but it is not healthier, atleast when you make it from scratch you know exactly what's going in it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Cheaper to buy the mixes, especially if you don't bake a lot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Cakes and cupcakes, mix is cheaper if bought on sale or with a coupon. Muffins, scratch is cheaper because all the ingredients tend to be pantry basics.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you have to buy the ingredients for a one time thing it is probably more expensive to do it from scratch and cheaper to buy a mix on sale. But if you bake all the time than it is cheaper to do it from scratch.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If you don't bake and don't have a well stocked pantry of baking items, then it's probably cheaper to buy a box of cake mix or muffin mix. I bake a lot and if I wanted to measure out cost per serving of things like homemade pancakes, it's cheaper and healthier than a box of Bisquik. Trust me though, I have boxed cake mixes, brownie mixes, frosting mixes, etc in my cabinets too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• its cheaper to buy box cakes because everything is included already all you have to provide is eggs water and oil which is way cheaper than buying all the ingredients to make a cake
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010