ADHD torn

I am one of those moms who never wanted to drug my kid. But I am slowly coming to an impass and I have to explore the possiblity. My daughter has always been a hyper kid, loves to talk, can't stay still and seems to just be constantly in motion. In school last year she started getting in trouble for these things and I have tried every discipline out there. She is a very smart very likeable girl but this year has gone down hill. She has yet to get "green cards" consistantly for more than two days. It seems as though every day she is getting in trouble for talking, not keeping her hands to herself, not following directions and just all out nonstop activity. I am ok if it wasn't every day or if it wasn't disruptive to others. Now she is getting more aggressive with other kids, and lying to cover up her bad behavior. I have tried everything to no avail so now I am reduced to testing for ADHD. Any suggestions?

melissap463

Asked by melissap463 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have dd that has ADHD and we didnt have her testedf until after she was getting into trouble at school and her grades began to fall. when they told us she would have to be on medication we were a little concerned but they put her on a medicine that she only takes during the school week and not on weekends or when she doesnt have school she dont suffer from withdrawls. It has helped her in school to concintrate and stay out of any trouble that she had before
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 2:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Why not consider taking her out of that environment all together? I know a lot of moms are against home-schooling, and a lot of moms don't think they have the time or patience, but think about what is best for your daughter. I refuse to put my son in school because I know he would act the same way. Not because I think he has ADHD, but because he is a normal 6 year old boy, behaving like a normal 6 year old boy will behave. He is thriving at home, where he is able to be himself, expel all the extra energy, and learn in a way that is best for him. I think way too many children are being put on drugs to quell normal childhood behaviors, and it breaks my heart. Classrooms are not the only places to get educated.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm going through issues with my daughter as well and I really don't want to give her conventional drugs because the side effects are bad. I'm hoping I can find a naural product that can calm her down. If I were you, I would try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, especially the ones with artificial dyes and preservatives because those things trigger adhd symptoms in kids. I wish you the best of luck.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Don't delay the testing - there might be other alternatives once she has been diagnosed. Keep in mind the goal is for her to experience success in the classroom, at whatever means it takes.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That would be an option if I were married and didn't have to work. Being a single mother I don't have that option
    melissap463

Comment by melissap463 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• OP - there are many single parents who homeschool. It can be done.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think Homeschool is great!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2010