Whats the first thing you do when your child vomits on surprise?

This morning my bf woke me up from the couch as our son and i were asleep. My boy woke up and puked out of nowhere. So, he grabbed him and I grabbed a bucket for the next time he pukes on surprise and I also grabbed a rag and new clothes to dress him in. I dont know. I dont think I'm good with situations like these but I try my best.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't do much when it's a surprise and I have no chance of catching it, I normally try and dive to avoid the carpet or bedding/whatever getting a covering. Then if I fail I just stare and tell them it's okay. I'm quite slow in those situations, it's not my forte.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I stand there with my mouth hung open in shock. Then run for a dirty towel

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• im def slow at this my daughter does this often when she wakes up im not sure why and no doctor does eaither so im useally in the line of fire but i let her know im not mad at her and it will be okay which is a big diffrence from my husband who is like "omg why did you do that?" and "dont do that again!"
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I clean him up, the area up, then check if he has a temprature. Otherwise just go on about my day. If he's still ill whether throwing up or not I feed him light/bland foods and drinks. Little portions until he's feeling better.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• At first I would take the childs cloths off and quickly check to see if the child has a temp. Then clean up the mess he made.

Answer by louise2 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Deal with it no stress. It is nothing that can not be cleaned up. Hope you have hard wood floors. Liquids
    peekaboo7777

Answer by peekaboo7777 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Wow, all of you woman are brave. I don't handle vomit well at all and I'm not a mommy yet but I know it comes along with the kids lol... It's my nightmare and I have no clue how I'll handle it. But my guess is I'll just be throwing up right beside them since the thought of vomit makes me gag lol.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well I should be an old pro considering my oldest DS exorcist puked on me almost everyday of his life until he was about 10 months old. (then it was every other day). But I'm not I have this little moment of HOLY SHIT what do I do OMG i cant handle this.. Then I snap out of it and get them to the bathroom over the toilet if they seem like theyre going to puke more. If not I strip them down clean them up, get them comfortable. Then I tackle the mess. I actually just had to clean a MASSIVE amount of puke off of my bed before I could throw my bed clothes in the washer (the was a lot of it). My son puked when he was napping.

joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 7:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• @gnomeofmyheart I was the same way before I had my first but you get used to it. Although I do still have trouble dealing with the really nasty poops gag!
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 7:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Try not to puke on top of it as I check him out and clean him up.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010