I would like to have a natural childbirth. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself for it?

Would yoga help prepare my body? I'm starting childbirth classes for the Bradley Method on Sunday and I'm trying to get started on these Kegel execersises. Is there much else I can do to help prepare myself mentally and physically for a natural childbirth?

britthoch2010

Asked by britthoch2010 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Good luck going natural it's gonna hurt like hell...
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• the classes are a great start! i've only had one natural childbirth. By chance, not by choice but it was a great experience. I didn't do anything to plan it and made out okay, so will you. GL
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yes, they have classes,and many books on the subject. Exercise and breathing correctly is very important. I had 3 completely natural Births, NO meds NOTHING--No shaving, No enema's- ALL NATURAL- And would never do it any other way--Was awesome!
    HaloSue

Answer by HaloSue at 7:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• research. I cannot express it enough. The more informed you go in, the more likely you are to go natural all the way. If your mind is set on med free birth, then, you are almost certain to do it. Read "Ina May's Guide to natural childbirth". Watch home birth videos..they all seem so dang calm. LOL Make a birth plan. Tell everyone. Get your partner on board and informed. Hire a doula. Research.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Oh, and I did it, it can be done.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I recommend keeping your hospital room or your birthing area stress free as much as possible. Music that soothes you, and people that support you. You pick out the music, and pick music that means something to you. And don't hesitate to kick people out that are causing you problems. I had my son completely natural. My nurse acted as a bouncer because my partners' family was crazy. I couldn't stand them and having them near me at that time made me want to give up. Be very clear to everyone what you want and what your wishes are. Also, I recommend having a few back up alternatives. Things that you are ok with happening in certain situations. That way, if something does happen, you don't have to make a decision while in labor as to how to handle it. You will be less likely to panic if you are very prepared.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Hypno birthing! I couldn't have done without it! There are several stories and testimonals and you can even find hypno birth videos on youtube! Look into it and take the classes if you can. There is a wonderfull book and two cd's that come with the class or would work just as well as the classes if they aren't available:) Hypno birthing turned my (what could have been) painfull, full on contractions into just this wonderfull euphoric energy. It was an amazing experience and I think if I wouldn't have prepared and taught myself about how labor is really not suppose to painfull I probably wouldn't have had such a beautiful pain free experience. Also a great tip...Do not let them break your water. Or do anything to interfere with your bodys natural procces of labor. But you will learn all about that in the book or from the classes. It is wonderfull and it works. Pain free, drug free, peacefull, and relaxed is the outcome.
    LoveFaithPeace

Answer by LoveFaithPeace at 7:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Two natural births with no interventions here and I would have it no other way. As long as you are prepared mentally it really isn't that bad. My favorite book is by Ina May Gaskin (can't remember the exact name though). Hypnobirthing is a good option as is Bradley method. Personally I used water for my first (spent most of transition in the shower as the hospital didn't have a tub) and delivered on my side in the bed. My second was back labor and I preferred to be on all fours and delivered squatting. You definitely need to discuss this with your care provider and let them know how you feel. My first my water broke on it's own before I even had contractions and my second they kept wanting to break it and I refused. It broke on it's own as she crowned all over the doc LOL! The only person in the room until the time to push was my husband and personally I don't really remember him even being there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm planning on going natural as well but didn't take any kind of classes. I really wish I did though.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 7:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• For starters don't listen to any comments like the first post. I had a obgyn laugh in my face when I told her I wanted to go all natural. I always thought if other women do it why cant I,what makes me any different! It was something I really wanted to do and you CAN do it!  read books. Educate yourself. Learn techniques, breathing etc. I read birthing from within it was a good book., Wait as long as possible before going to the hospital. Labor is a lengthy process and much more comfortable at home and just know that some times things dont always go as planned. and if they donut,. Don't worry about it. Breathing was probably the best technique through the contractions and focal points, I also had my husband and mom massaging me which really helped! GL

Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2010