Do you have a Winter Survival Kit?

In your home?
In your car?
Both?

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Sort of. I can & store the produce from our gardens, plus I make much of my own baked goods, so there is always ample food in the house, either prepared or in its most basic form. Because we camp in the summer months & we have those supplies in the house for winter storage, we have a camp stove, candles/lanterns, extra batteries, a weather radio, sleeping bags & extra blankets, etc. During the winter we will lose power at least once, usually more often, so we also keep jugs of water (that we can use the following summer while camping & get fresh for the next winter) too, and make sure our propane tanks are topped off for both the camper & grill (can be used for heat or cooking). For the car, I have an emergency roadside kid (jumper cables, emergency blanket, etc.) to which I add a box of granola bars, dried fruit & water bottles. A kit like this has been in my car year round since I first got my license, courtesy of my Dad.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have a wii, I thought that was my winter survival kit. Ha. No, but I really... I don't and I really should!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Don't really need one, I live in California, heh. I do have an earthquake survival kit, though!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have an emergency kit for both places.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Just updated and put the one in the truck last weekend. The one in the house we just swap out things from summer E kit to winter E kit. We can have ice storms that takes power down for days to weeks.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't currently have one in my car. We kind of have to have something in our home though. We lose power a lot and there have been a couple of years that we lost power for a week or more at at time. We don't get much snow here but one year it snowed and was pretty cold and we had no electricity for 11 days and some people in the area went longer without it. We have extra food and water and a way to cook without electricity and a way to heat our house too. But those are a backup for if the generator quits or we run out of gas. (we have several extra cans of that stored too) Now I just need to get something together for the cars.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Both. NW OH here. Winters can be pretty bad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Nope, I live in Eastern NC - no need for a winter survival kit.
    But we have a Hurricane Kit.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No but I probably should..
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010