My DH doesn't get along with my family very well...

I have talked to them about what the problems are, but all I ever get are a bunch of excuses and no results. There is so much tension and I feel caught in the middle most of the time. It's emotionally draining. What is my next step? Example of what happens... my brother will walk past my DH without saying a word and go straight to our kids and start talking to them. He can have a 5 min convo with a 2-yr-old but not my hubby. Or... my mom told him once that he's not single anymore so he shouldn't be going out!!! I was soo mad. He went to watch a game with his friends. IDK. Need help on how to break my fam of their disrespect.

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• If my family was like that towards my DH. I would not be around my family much. would always have a reason why we could not see them. If I had to tell them something as to why. I would tell them the truth. You do not treat my DH good/right. so we do not want to be around you.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks...I have been doing a lot less around them lately and even asked them not to get us or the kids anything for Christmas. Really do want less to do with them. My husband is my life and nobody disrespects him. Even family.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Families are like that sometimes. I dad hates my BF and my mom's family can't stand my dad. What you have to realize is that you're committed to him now, you're married. Your family either needs to accept that or accept that you won't be around as much. Distancing yourself from them will help them realize how important it is that they treat your DH right. My mom spent months away from her family before they realized that she wasn't joking. They put up with him now and treat him right for the sake of being able to see her and me before I moved out on my own. You can't expect everyone to love him as much as you do but they should learn to tolerate him!
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 7:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Cleave unto your husband.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I guess my first question would be why? Is there something specific your family has a problem with? If so, is it something that you can work through with them? If not, it's time to not put your DH in that position and stay away from them. When you marry someone, you are partners - they should be treating your husband with respect and consideration even if they don't like him.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't think they have specific problems with him. They just act funny. I asked my brother once why he doesn't acknowledge my DH and his excuse was that they don't have anything in common. But I don't see how that could stop him from asking my DH to go grab a bite to eat and have a drink. I most definitely am putting my hubby first and backing him in everything, but he is still hurt by what is going on and that pains me too.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010