How to calm a 3yr olds' tantrums?

He never used to whine or scream, but lately I am losing my mind with him. The littlest thing sets him off and he will scream and yell and is starting to get physical (bitting,hitting) his 2yr old sister. HELP!!

Maggie577

Asked by Maggie577 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First I think you need to set up some rules, if you have not already. I would start with time outs. YOu have to be consistant and it can be very hard to keep up with things. Also, remember no ideal threats, if you say you are going to do something then do it. I would also try the ignoring. When my son was this age I would say "It is okay to be angry and yell you just need to do it in your room and I would bring him to his room.

Laslty, one time I got so tired of it I looked at him and said "I can scream a lot louder than you can, if you don't stop I am going to scream." He kept screaming and throwing himself on the floor so I screamed at the top of my lungs. He totally stopped looked at me and he never did it again. I am not saying this is going to work, I just know it worked for me.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks but I have done all that and when I screamed at him he just got louder. Thanks
    Maggie577

Comment by Maggie577 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I usually have to ignore my daughter. She'll go for a few minutes, til she realizes that I have a) left the room (I can see her - she can't see me) and/or b) I am not watching her (with either disgust or amusement). Any reaction from me will keep her going.

More difficult in public. If possible, I just immediately remove her from situation. Take her out to the car and strap her in her car seat. We sit there til she calms down. She loves being "bye-bye" so the threat of going home usually helps tame her - and she realizes it is a real threat when we get in the car.
    07Mommy10

Answer by 07Mommy10 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Like the poster above, if my daughter gets this out of control, I flat out ignore her. She does not exist. I keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't hurt herself or her little brother, but I do NOT acknowledge her at all. If it happens and we're out, I'll leave the store whether I'm finished shopping or not....if we're visiting friends, I tell them that "I'm sorry but we need to go" and I leave. And the entire time, I will say NOTHING to her.

She's been doing this for about 5 months now (she's 3 1/2) and she's just now starting to figure out that mommy's not going to give her her own way for screaming and yelling.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010