Should the U.S. school year be extended to compete with other countries which keep students in school a month longer?

Original question posted on WSJ online.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in

• I teach 2nd through 4th grade reading so I follow the same kids for 3 years and they always experience summer set back. Being out of school for 10 weeks at a time is not good. I spend the whole first nine weeks (sometimes longer) getting them back up to the reading level they left the previous year at. It's very frustrating.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure if extending the year would help, but I do think the curriculum needs to be looked at more thoroughly. No offense meant, but when I moved here, I quickly realized that city college here is pretty much the equivalent of the last two years in high school back in Europe... That was rather shocking to me. If longer days/longer school years would allow students to be more knowledgeable, I'd be all in favor of that.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I agree the curriculum needs to be worked on but so does the public education system in general. I think that adding a month could potentially be a good place to start though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would love to see a year-round school. I have two honor students, and they always need to play catch up at the beginning of every school year. (They forget a lot over the summer, even if they are reading). I have a step son that is severely autistic, he has a really rough time transitioning out of and then back into the school year.

Aside from the "brain drain," the curriculum would advance quicker because they wouldn't be spending that first month of school rehashing what they have already been taught.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No, they just need to revamp & improve the curriculum. Get rid of all the PC crap & get back to the basics of reading writing & arithmetic.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• year long school would be great!... it would save alot on summer daycare cost.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think they should! Kids forget to much in the summer.
    NAVAM

Answer by NAVAM at 7:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I believe in year round school. If you want a good read on how bad the US education system is, read "Waiting on Superman" by Davis Guggenheim. The US system has been going downhill since the 70's!!! It is stated that if the US schools replaces the bottom 6-10% of teachers with average teachers we would be able to compete with Finland...the TOP country in education. We also need to give teacher unions LESS control and power. Don't get me wrong, I am all for teachers and getting the pay they do, IF they earn it. But there are too many ineffective teachers. Stop teaching to test, standarized test scores mean nothing. Some kids can take a test and some cannot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No kids are in school long enough they dont need to stay any longer
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am a firm believer in year-round school, with 2 week-breaks every few months. Kids don't need an entire summer off from learning.
    Anonymous