at what point does one stop paying for a bad decision they made?

i listened to my cousin vent about her "bad hand" in life & i aint feeling too hot myself ...i know that a lot of life is merely decisions we have made BUT at what point is enough... enough? and when you try to correct a decision with another, whose to say that shit wont back fire on you as well and that be a "bad" decision? many times we make decisions on the limited knowledge, skills and an experience we have at the time. if we could see the effing future we probably would not have done many things...life is a bunch of decisions that you have little to no real recourse from it seems. i guess my main issue right now is trying to choose between being a sahm and having a career...i am struggling badly doing both. working full time drains me in more ways than one but to be a sahm mom would mean poverty for us and i dont want to be a sahm....either way i dont see it working out for the best for the kids or me. decisions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have to do what you feel like you need to with the information you have. I'm a big believer in being thankful for what you have while always striving to make it better. It's easy (not saying this is you) to blame "insert problem here" on a "bad hand in life" - but truly you CAN change the hand you've been dealt.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Some moms work from home. Not sure how, but it might be the answer for you... (Dr. Laura on talk radio sure advocates a work at home program that's internet based...FYI).
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I know what you mean about wishing I could see the future back when I was a teen making bad decisions. 

You know you can not afford to be a SAHM.  So you need to work.  Ever though of going to school?

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Go to work. The fact that you would be living in poverty if you dont is reason enough to. It will be tough at first but you will learn a routine and before u know it you will have the perfect balancing act! If you stay home youll always wonder if you could have given them more. I know some ppl will say money isnt everything and that time with your kids is valuable but money is a big deal when you dont have enough of it to give your kids a decent life. Many children that come from homes where parents work fulltime still turn out well. Its what you do when youre not at work that will make up for all the time when you are. See if you can get a job that you can go in really early that way you still get off mid day and have time for dinner and bath time with them. It also makes a difference who will be watching them while youre at work. If its a close friend or relative thats a plus because they can help you in alot of ways.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 7:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When my children were younger I was a sahm because If I worked all my money would go to paying the baby sitter or day care So although we didn't have a lot of money we made it with alot of prayer and trust in God. I know work out side the home because my husband is now disabled and I still have a three year old at home I have to work now because my husband can't but I would give anything to go back to staying at home with my children they are only small for a short time and when they are grown up you won't see them as much so if it were me and my husband was still working I would spend all my time with my children. I have 8 children 4 are grown and 4 are still at home. I would rather spend time with my children but that's me. You have to decide what is more important to you. Having material things or spending time with your kids God bless you in your decission it's a difficult one.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 8:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• at what point does one stop paying for a bad decision they made?

At what point?  When you stop condemning yourself for chooses you made in the pass.  That is history and you can only more forward into making things better for you and your family.  Staying afloat is the answer.  Having a roof over your head and food on the table is priority number 1. Setting an example to your children that you don't let pass mistakes take you down.  Fight for that better life.  

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think when you are able to get out from under those bad decisions, and move forward!

Unfortunately some decisions, like having children before marrying, finishing your education and/or establishing a decent paying career can be costly, long-lasting (18+ years) and very stressful; whereas investing/wasting money erroneously can be recovered relatively quickly and with less of a negative impact in the long run.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you would be living in poverty by staying home, then you won't be any happier doing that than if you would stay at work. Financial stress is huge ~ especially these days. There are many successful work at home/stay at home moms. This does take determination and hard work ~ especially to get started. But it is so worth it in the future. I know of many moms that have started their home businesses while working full time, were then able to cut back to part time and eventually were able to replace their full income and stay home. And a home business is great in the fact that you have the ablility to be able to work at your own pace around your own schedule to be able to get started while working an outside job. If you have the determination to make it work, nothing can stop you! Good luck in whatever you choose!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 9:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• And bad decisions ~ I'm not sure if we ever completely stop making bad decisions!!! Just have to trust in yourself!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 9:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010