Down syndrome

I had to have an 4d ultrasound and also an level 2 ultrasound.The doctor told me that everything was fine when i had the level 2 ultrasound because my baby had calcium on her heart.I then I to back for an follow up and I was told the same thing that everything looked fine.I was worried because I dramked almost my whole pregnancy.I stopped then drinked then stopped then drinked.Whe I had the 4d I saw all the feautres on the baby.Im just worried about my child having down syndrome.They are still saying that everything looks fine and the baby will not have down syndrome.by looking at the babby with level 2 and 4d ultrasounds they would be able to tell if my baby would have any types of problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, Down's is a genetic problem that wouldn't be caused by alcohol consumption during pregnancy. That would be Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Is your DR aware of your drinking problem? If not, he/she needs to be informed. They may also be able to get you some type of help. Please, for the sake of your baby, go to an AA meeting and get some help. I'm not trying to be ugly at all. If transportation is an issue, see if you can't get in touch with a local AA group leader and maybe they can arrange transportation for you.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• And yes, typically by looking at the ultrasounds the DRs would be able to tell if there were something going on, if it presents itself physically, like DS or FAS does.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Down syndome is genetic, as Jessy0419 stated. I would be way more worried about your baby having fetal alcohol syndrome, which is caused by drinking while pregnant. And they can't always tell that because it doesn't always present until after birth. The baby could also exibit less severe symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome known as fetal alcohol effects, which are often undiagnosed but can be seen with developmental delays, failure to thirve, low birth weight, epilepsey, poor motor and socialization skills, difficulties learning, and behavorial problems.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 9:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Im sorry to burst your EGOS,
    but its NOT GENETIC,

i know this for a damn fact,
    They thought my little one had DOWNS,
    and no one in my family or hubbys family had a history
    And let me remind you the doctor telling me, ITS NOTHING THAT CAN BE PREVENTED !
    any child can get downs, ANY CHILD its just an extra chormosone
    THEY HAVE INDEED LINKED DRINKING with downs,
    but its SO HARD TO PROVE WHILE MANY MOTHERS DONT DRINK AND HAVE downs children

read your information, because i have a big book right here ! saying its not GENETIC,

and my BABY IS FINE! AFTER I GOT MY AMNIO EVERYTHING WAS FINE

AND LET ME REMIND YOU ANON.
    IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE PREGO , AND DRINKING YOU DONT NEED TO BE A MOTHER,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I agree that downs isn't always genetic, yes if you have a history then you more likely but it can happen to anyone. Downs is called Trisomy 21. We had a baby with Trisomy 18 who passed away at 29 1/2 weeks pregnant, we don't have a history. It can be genetic and sometimes it just happens! It is an extra chromosome just like Trisomy 18 is. You really need to stop the drinking though, there are several problems that this could result in. My Mom drank and didnt know she was preggo for a while, I have a pretty big birthmark on my leg and one on my back. They said it was from the drinking. I was also premature, about 4 weeks or so. So remember all this and get help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• #1 Stop drinking!!! #2 Downs is GENETIC, it's not always HEREDITARY, downs is a problem with the genetic makeup of 2 people when they have kids some times, it can happen to anyone, even if they have previously had perfectly normal children. It can be caused by things like being drunk at conception, being high on something at conception, having an over abundance of some hormone, or having a family history, or inbreeding? Lot's of things. I would (like others have said) be more concerned about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which they CAN NOT tell on an ultra sound, neither can they really tell about downs, the sure fire way is to get an amnio.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 11:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• If you drank alcohol your whole pregnancy, you won't know the effects until your child starts developing differently when they are older.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• By genetic I meant carried in the genes, which it is, unlike FAS. There was no need to yell. And like someone said, it's not always hereditary.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2008