How long should I breast feed? adult content

I have a 3month old son, and the Doctor says that I'm still suppling enough milk that I could go as long as I wanted. I've never used formula, I only use bottles when my husband or family wants to feed him, or we are somewhere that it would be "unappropiate" (don't get me started on that lol). I always wanted to breast feed, and we both took to it well, but at the same time I don't want to be a mom that is breast feeding when their child is three, no offence to anyone, but that's just too much for me. But I'm also concerned because my friend stopped breast feeding at 4 month old and when they switched to formula, her daughter got sick, and never really adjusted well to formula. So I ask, what is the "normal" time to wean? And how do even pick a formula and then actually wean, I've head a lot of horror stories, so I'll be honest when I say I'm kind of scared.

addix2

Asked by addix2 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait until at least a year...but that's just me
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Whenever you see fit. If you are supplying enough (WHICH IS AWESOME, You're doing great) and you dont want to go till 3 then maybe around your little mans 1st birthday. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, if you wait until baby is a year, you never have to use formula.

I plan on going until my child weans on it's own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It is a personal preference base don what you feel would best serve your family. 1 is common, 2 is recommended and 3 is not unheard of. If your supply is good and you are enjoying the process then try to go as long as you can whether it be 2 more months or all the way to 12 months then weaning to a cup.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There really is no set time. If you feel comfortable and WANT to continue breastfeeding then go for it. The hell with what anyone else has to say about it. I unfortunately had to stop around 4 months or so because my milk supply just suddenly ran dry (found out later on that was most likely because of my depo shot!) I was very disappointed that I couldn't keep going. Don't worry yourself right now about still breastfeeding when your child is 3! lol She is only 3 months right now and i'm sure when the timing is right for both of you, you can wean her as needed =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Personally I breastfed until each child was over a year. The American Pediatric Association recommends 12months. The Wold Heath Organization recommends at least two years. So I would say nursing until age 1 to 2 is great. Since you both took to it easily enough, then there is no rush to wean.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have a two year minimum for my kids... but I definitely wouldn't wean before one even if I were less health-obsessed (lol!). Just no reason to pay for something if you make it for free.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Personally, I would aim for at least a year. Mine always got too busy around 15 months to want to nurse much. I would have loved to go for 2 years, but it wasn't in the stars.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• After the age of 1 formula is not needed for almost all babies. So, if you don't want to use formula go to the year mark and then wean baby down by dropping a feeding here and there until you are down to none. You can use a sippy cup; that way you don't have to wean from the bottle also. But the choice is all yours :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Wow... "unappropriate"... um... breasts are for feeding babies. you nurse as long as you want to, simple as that. The world wide age of weaning is about 4 years. WHO recommends BF until 2.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010