Is private better than public?

I have two kids 18 months apart they are 11moths and 2yrs old, but I am already thinking about school, will private school offer them a better education and more opportunities in life, is it really an advantage to go to private schools? I have been looking and comparing and the amount of money spend in private school from kindegarden to senior year of high school is enormous!!! Would it be better to save this money for there future or put it towards there education?

sunkissedmom

Asked by sunkissedmom at 8:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the quality of both the public and private schools in your area. Many public schools offer fantastic educations!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It's a personal choice for you, you have to do what you feel is best. I send my kids to public school. If you can save up money for school costs then do it for their college educations. Public schools are just as good in my opinion.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Depends on the public school system you are in and how much effort and involvement you plan on putting into your child's education as well. There are some awesome public schools. There are some crappy ones to. If your kids are in a school that you don't feel meets you standards then you supplement at home and get involved in the classroom. If you feel private school is more than you can do then look into your public schools scores and reviews or even consider home schooling.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• This is a difficult question to answer. It depends on the area you live in. In my area, our public schools are top of the line. I know that is not the case in lots of other areas though.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• DEPENDS. Where do you live? What is the quality of the private and public schools where you live? I've taught at bad public school districts and bad private schools. I have also taught at good public school districts. I personally won't ever apply to private again, but that's ME. It all depends on YOUR AREA, for it varies greatly.

Anonymous

• In our local area, the public school options are limited. There is a Catholic school that goes up to 8th grade. Then there is the new 5th -12th grade school that is not yet accredited so its graduates then have to get GEDs.
    OR you can put your kid on a bus for an hour each way to go to the private school in the next town.

Our public schools hold up pretty good against the privates and my children are doing well in them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If you are already in a decent school district, I would save the money that you would use on private school, and use it towards some sort of tutoring outside of school. I live in California and the school system here is horrible, there is no way that I could home school full time, nor am I qualified to do so. So our solution is to put DS in public school, and also do work with him at home as well as putting him in the Kumon tutoring program. He doesn't start kindergarten until next year, but we started him in the tutoring program this year and he is already starting to read on his own. I don't think that you can depend on any school alone, private or public, to teach your child everything they need to know (especially not in a class of 30 students or more) with out some sort of outside educational supplementing.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Not necessarily. It doesn't always matter if it's public vs private but the quality of the teacher. I went to a Catholic school for 9 years and had some bad teachers and in the 4 years I was in public school, had amazing teachers. My son has been in public schools his entire education (he's in 9th grade) and for the most part has had awesome teachers, HE just as a nasty attitude about school and is hard to teach. I am now paying through my nose for Sylvan to help change that and teach him how to study. So, not only does the quality of the teachers matter but also the child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Im hoping to be able to afford to put my kids in private school. To each its own. Research both schools then decide.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There are public school ratings online. You might want to start there and then talk to other moms you know in your town. Eventually go and visit. Visit the private schools too. Class size is crucial and lots of times the private schools have the smaller classes. We sent our kids to public schools and were really involved with the parents' organizations etc. Plus we always went to the parent teacher meetings and even supplemented with materials when a few teachers they had were not doing enough in our opinion. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010