Do you and your SO disagee on xmas?

For the last few years we seem to have issues on how much to spend and what to get them...We have 3 kids and I am cutting back but he wants to cut back more. AT the moment I work 2 jobs so I am frustrated with what he wants to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• Not really. We sit down and figure out how much we are going to spend on Christmas, then divide the number up across the kids (we have 5). In lean years, we just didn't get each other presents to have more to give the kids.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We both enjoy spending a ton of money - so we're on the same page as far as that. We love shopping together but we sometimes disagree on what the boys will like.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We compromised together, $300 for the 5 of us (2 adults, 3 kids) and the in-laws. I wanted to save a little more, he wanted to go for a little less, we met in the middle.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Maybe next year, do what my husband and I do we spend 50-150 every month until christmas. So they have a big christmas and we dont stress about spending 1000 bucks. :) Good Luck.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Since the beginning of our marriage, I spelled out for him that Christmas was the only time I spend money, and after 38 years he has resigned himself to his seasonal fate! I have no budget for Christmas!!!!!! needless to say he hates the season, he turns into a scrooge!!!

Answer by older at 8:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I put money into a christmas fund at my credit union each pay check from January until November...then we don't have to stress
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I also start putting money back early on in the year so we don't feel so much of the pinch during the holidays. It is nice to be able to get your kids gifts and watch their little faces light up, but it is much more important to keep the peace in your family. The important thing is to focus on family togetherness. Christmas is not supposed to be all about the gifts anyway, although many of us are guilty of focusing way too much on that part of the holiday. maybe one big gift that the entire family can enjoy. Something that will bring you all together. Then a few smaller gifts for each child. this way you keep peace with hubby and encourage more family time. Good luck!

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 8:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• As a mother, I know you want to give your kids the most you can but there is nothing wrong with cutting back a little, especially now, when everyone else is doing it too .Depending on their ages, it might be a good idea to let them know that they might not get as much as last year, but you will still make it specail. Try buying one big present they can all share (like a game system which you can get used at most game stores for a lot less or on E-BAY) then a few things for them each to open. To make the holiday season special without spending a lot of money, try finding some free activites to do with them over the school break, check you local mall, they usually do something .Have them help you make cookies. Maybe you and you SO can sit down and each come up with a dollar amount of what you think you should spend, then meet in the middle.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• no not really
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He thinks I should spend less on him & he should spend more on me. We have playful "arguments"bout it.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2010