Trying to potty train 2 1/2 yr old son.. wont go #2 in potty

I am in full potty training mode bc I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and I dont want two kids in diapers. My son has been in underwear for 5 days now and hes doing okay. He has had three poopy accidents here at home.. he goes and hides in the playroom then I find out what he did.

Do I get mad when he has accidents or just lecture him or nothing at all?? Just want to make sure I am doing the best I can to help the process be a smooth one.

Like today he went #2 in his undies. He knows Im not happy when he does that. I just lectured him.. talked to him and told him I know he is a smart big boy and that he knows how how to use the potty. I asked him if he will try harder next time to go in the potty... he says yes. (of course) Then we proceed to the bathtub... lol.

Any tips.. suggestions??

proudtxmom22

Asked by proudtxmom22 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No anger, no lectures. Stay as calm as you can and keep explaining this is what big boys do. You might want to try some sort of reward. Take him to sit on the potty at regular intervals. One mom here suggested having the child sit on the potty while sitting at a table in front of the TV with you and do coloring and simialr things together. Then he is right there when he has to go. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have trained three boys, this works every time! When he goes to pee in the potty, MAKE HIM SIT instead of stand. And have him sit there each time for several minutes. At some point he will inadvertently poop in the potty. Praise him like crazy. Do it every time for weeks until he can poop all the time in the potty. When boys learn to pee standing up they don't get the other half of pottying in the toilet, so they really associate pee in the potty and poop in their pants.
    Also it is important to let him see other people poop in the potty. If he follows you into the bathroom and you poop, make sure to say goodbye to your poopy in the potty. Sounds gross and weird, but some kids get scared that they are flushing part of themselves down the toilet. If he sees it as normal, then he will likely not feel that way.
    Good Luck... PM me if you would like to discuss it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When I potty trained DS, we went to the store and he picked out a bunch of underwear in his favorite characters. When he would poop in them, I would pretend that I was throwing them away, which he didn't like. Also, we used a potty chart that I printed from nick Jr. I think it was Dora the explorer. Every time he went potty we made a HUGE deal out of it and he got to put a sticker on the potty chart and got 1 skittle. when he went poop in the toilet, he got to put 2 stickers on the potty chart and he got 2 skittles. It worked really well for him. Maybe start making a really big deal about it when he goes in the bathroom, like start clapping and wooing, make it fun. Then he will want to just for all the excitement that comes from it. Good luck!
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Why don't you wait until the child is ready instead of forcing him to go potty? Put your child's needs above your own, even if you have to change diapers for two children. Lots of women do it everyday.
    Anonymous

• Because he's incredibly smart and knows exactly what he is doing. Just my opinion on my own kid.. he can handle it. He goes pee consistently in the potty as long as I am consistent as well. I believe kids that arent potty trained by around 3 are just due to lazy parents... again just my opinion.
    proudtxmom22

Comment by proudtxmom22 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well my son is 3 and he is doing the same thing I know how you feel he knows its wrong to go poop in his pull up but he still does it and does not tell me...I haven't found a way to stop it yet good luck if you find out how let me know please.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We're in the same boat, and maybe it's the same for you - could be a control issue. My son is pretty stubborn, and boy, so am I! I also have a short fuse, so whenever he poops in his undies, it takes a lot of effort for me to try and not be mad at him. But honestly though, I know my son is much more receptive when I'm not mad or lecturing him. What I'm trying to do now is when he's pooping in his undies, I try to bring him to the potty ASAP. Of course, by the time we get there he's done, so I try to dump the poop in his potty (or toilet if you son is willing to stand/sit over it), and remind him calmly that that's where the poop belongs. He likes his Toy Story undies, so I also remind him by saying the poop should go in the potty, not on Buzz or Woody. I don't know how to make the process faster, because for us, any stress about potty training just sets us back. Good luck!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 12:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010