Supplementing with Formula

Hello, I was hoping to get thoughts on the easiest to digest formula to supplement occasionally. My doctor recommended Carnation.... is this the same as Gerber? Thanks !

msparklym13

Asked by msparklym13 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gerber Good Start Gentle Infant Formula was formerly known as Nestle/Carnation Good Start
    Anonymous

• No formula is particularly easy to digest... it's really all trial and error because all babies are different.

What is the reason for supplementing, though? I'd avoid it if at all possible just to avoid any possible tummy issues from it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• no--Enfamil Premium Lipil... my 5 month old adopted son from South Korea whos now 7 and my 8-month old daughter natural born BOTH did so well on this! He had to transition from an overseas asian brand and she was a champion breastfeeder who never wanted to switch-- this was the only thing she didnt mind the taste of and took too. use warm water all the time for formula bottle so it is liek warm breastmilk -- i STILL do that. also get a NUK brand nipple shaped flattish with the hole on TOP not the end, liek a breast stream! she ised it til liek one month agao when i had to get a faster flow. GET SLOW lento flow at first cause yoru child is used to pulling hard at the breast to make it come out. good luck and enjoy and be patient and nurturing like u r
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Gerber gave my daughter who's 8 months old now TERRIBLE smellign gas all day and LOTS of painful gas when i tarnsitioned her, dont do the good start in my opinion from Gerber
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• She has horrible gas/Constipation from BF also! Poor little girl. I am trying to find the easiest on her digestive track for the occasional supplement. I tried the Enfamil Nutramegin (spelling?) She will drink it, but doesn't like it at all.
    msparklym13

Comment by msparklym13 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• A Gassy Baby  is very very common. There are other, less damaging ways to treat it. Introducing a bottle is often the start of the end of breastfeeding due to nipple confusion, although not always.

And it may not be "constipation." Breastfed babies are able to absorb almost all of the milk, and thus have fewer poops. It is within normal for a bf baby to go up to 2 weeks without, although rare. Most poop several times a day, and can seem quite difficult for the baby to expel. However, the baby's muscles are not used to being used yet, so he has to build them up. Pooping is new for the baby. :)

http://www.kellymom.com/

squish

Answer by squish at 8:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My baby did great on Enfamil Lipil. No constipation, no gas, she slept through the night.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• it's the iron in the formula that causes constipation... but it really does fill the baby up good.... i used simulac with my son and that worked really well.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All formula is very hard to digest. Why do you have to suppliment. Breast is best even if it means you just have to pump and store for bottles while you are away. Every bottle you suppliement with formula you are hurting your milk supply.
    XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 3:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• PS just noticed she is having gas problems. Formula will only make it worse and it can get very painful for them. BReastmilk is the easiest to digest and is better on her tummy. Try Hylands colic tablets. they worked amazing wonders for my son when he was going through the same issues. He never had a drop of formula and grew out of the gassiness once his digestive system matured.
    XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 3:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2010