How do I know if it is too soon to let my dd chose her religion

For starters This is a mostly Pagan household. I am wiccan and my husband is Native ammerican. My dd and ds go to church and seem to enjoy it. I respect that but as of lat dd has been wanting to practice with me as well. I feel she should read and watch to see if it is really what she wants am I wrong? Ds is starting to show alil intrest tooI am just afraid they are just trying to plz me.

Aarionna

Asked by Aarionna at 8:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• let them do what they want, they will learn the different ways and decide what is best for themselves as they get older. Just because they start at one thing young doesnt mean they wont change their mind as time goes on...
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Did you openly discuss all of this with her? As well as maybe talk about educating her, and yourself in the process, to any other religion in the process. Knowledge is always wonderful. And then it could give her a rounded view and open understand of others and their backgrounds and beliefs.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• you have not said how old the child is ,in some religions the child comes to age that they chose their own beliefs ,plzeu you need to ask that question to them
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have read that children do not truly grasp all aspects of and hte gravity of religion until around age 12, which is why many churches only "dedicate" babies and don't baptize until 12-13.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• how old are they? talk to them about it and see what they say. im sure the main thing they would want is someone to listen to them. GL
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If they are old enough to go to church- they are old enough to be exposed to your practices as well ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I chose not to attend the church of my mother when I was old enough to look her in the eye and tell her so. I wanted to when I was younger (about 10), but I waited until I was 14 because I felt she would take me seriously then. And she did. My mother was hurt, but she accepted my decision.

If they show an interest, encourage it. And know that their interests in "religion" will likely continue to develop/evolve/change as they age...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It's never too early to teach kids about all the different world religions. Then they'll decide when they're ready, and might change their mind later on.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am sorry about the age thing I ment to post it sooner... dd is 10 and ds is 13
    Aarionna

Comment by Aarionna (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think at the ages your kids are at is when kids should start to learn about the different religions and see what they like best. Let them practice with you and see how they feel about it. Just make sure that they know that they dont have to be the same religion that you are. And you will still love them the same way you do now even if they choose a different religion.But like another mother said they will most likley change their mind as they get older. I grew up in a christian home and thought that that was for sure what I wanted and what I believed. But now I am Wiccan. I never even knew about this religion untill after I was married. But I dont see the harm with them practicing with you to see if that is what they want.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010