How do I get my cat to stop going bathroom on the floor!?

I have a young cat. She will be 6 months old in January. She's a sweet cat but she refuses to use the litter box! She will poop and pee on the carpet. I thought if I put the litter box in the spot where she 'goes' that she will use it but she still isn't. She will NOT step foot in that litter box! What am I gonna do? Please help!

matthew9_22

Asked by matthew9_22 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Try a different style of litter box... if its a covered one maybe she wants it open with no top....
    Try news paper instead of litter....
    Spray her with water when she messes on the floor.... and reward her when she finally does go in there.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• What kind of litter box do you have? Perhaps try a different kind. Cats can be pretty fickle! Good luck! I had a cat who would continuously use the sink as her personal toilet. Wasn't fun to see!
    C8Baxter

Answer by C8Baxter at 9:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• you may have to punish by spraying her with water every time she DOESNt use the lkitter box. i would also relegate her to ONE area until she breaks her refusal to use the litter box, i.e., she'd betetr use it or she doesnt get to go to other spots in the house. this will work but i wish you trained her earlier. was she a stray? because wild ferals usually have this problem not loved housecats. also, buy some awesome cat treats and relaly whoop it up if she uses litterbox. OH!!! Also, you need to be liek a mother cat, I did this once, and stand behind her, hold her paws and Dig WITH her using your hands over her paws, in clean litter, top show her she needs to digg around in there! most cats actually LIKE to dig as this is just an instinct from the great outdoors and is why cats use litterboxes, they liek to poke around and dig and bury stuff, both watse and eaten food bones. good luck with that i almost became a vet so i know
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I use a storage bin that is quite large for my litter box. I abandoned the clumping clay for the Feline Pine sawdust kind.

Also, call the cat's vet and get the tech and ask her or call the humane society near you and ask them. They will give you good advice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Have you tried putting her in the litter box? I totally don't mean this in an insulting way, but it may not have occurred to her to get in the litter box at all. Failing that...maybe try a different type of litter - she might not like the smell or texture of the litter you're currently using.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 11:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You have to stick her nose in it when she does it piss or shit and at the same time in a firm voice say NO and pop that head with a rolled up magazine and soon she will get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All good advice...even that last one. lol Yes I have put her into the litter box many times. She acts like it's water or something and dashes out VERY quickly. I was trying to train her to go outside like I trained her momma but she don't want to go outside either. She just likes the carpet right behind my loveseat for some reason....

I will try the spray bottle technique. :) See if that works.... Thanks all!
    matthew9_22

Comment by matthew9_22 (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Lol you can change the litter or get the pee pee training pads
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2010