any tips on running an in-home daycare?

i have realized i love working with kids. i have always planned on being a teacher, but now i am thinking about starting my own daycare (in the future). i know i need to get a liscense. i plan on going back to school once my youngest is old enough to be in school. which will be a few yrs... but i kind of want to get some experience under my belt before i jump into something like this... i am currently the nursery worker for my church and i handle kids from newborns-5 yrs old. plus i have my own three kids. what advice would u give me? have u ever worked in a daycare? if so, what were ur feelings about it? thanks in advance.

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 9:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I worked in a daycare for 4 years and I ran a certified daycare in my home. I suggest you maybe start a daycare in your home you can start by being certifeid for 6 and then after two years you can have 12. You can get state help with grants for fencing eccedra. You can get low income families and charge the state what you want. You can even get money for food to feed them. You can make pretty good money depending on your location. The downfalls are no one else to keep the kids if you are sick, if you dont have a basement they can put wear and tear on your house and furnishings. I only have good memories of having my in-home daycare, and with 6 the kids are like brothers and sisters. Being State Certified really isn't that hard call and check it out.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am kind of confused about something that you said. You said that you want to open an in home daycare in the future but you are going to be going back to school when your kids are in school. Are you planning on going to school at night and do your daycare during the day? Or are you going to start your daycare and only have it until your kids are in school? Also, what state do you live in and I can tell you what the requirements.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i plan on starting a daycare after i graduate. i may (possibly) start an inhome daycare before i go to school for just friends. idk. but i live in AR
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No matter what you do remember to treat your daycare like a business, not just something you do for extra cash. Make sure you have all your legalities straight, that you market, that you pay taxes on time, that you charge enough to make a profit, ect.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Here is the info about the licensing info- http://www.daycare.com/arizona/

I had a family friend that did in home day care for 20 years and just last year she opened up her own daycare. She loves it. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010