Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

CHILD SUPPORT ADVICE: Can I put it on him again?

It took me a long time after I had my baby to come to terms with the reality that his daddy just didn't care for him or me. Baby was about 4-5 months when I finally put the child support on his dad, and we didn't get the first check until he was almost one. We received a few checks and then his dad got fired. Do I have to do the child support thing again to receive it? I haven't heard from his dad so I have no idea whats going on in his life, i just know me and my son could use a little help. =) thanks for any advice!


Asked by Miss_Angela at 9:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 12 (885 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Yes, definetly become educated on what your next step should be and whether or not you are entitled to go after him for child support though he lost his job. GL!

    Answer by Luisa621 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • I would call the child support office- you should not have to go back to court. If he is getting unemployment you should get a percentage of that. I wouldn't wait on the money though- I haven't received a cent in years!!

    Answer by skittles1108 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • If there is an order in place, as soon as he gets a job he should start having child support taken out again. Unless you've had the order lifted, there shouldn't be a need to refile.

    Answer by prinzesstephi at 9:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • If you did not put a stop to the CS order, it should still be in place. If he is receiving unemployment, you should be receiving a portion of that and what he is supposed to pay you should be adding up in arrears. Even if he doesn't have a job, he still owes you that money. I would contact your local agency that is in charge of that and find out what is going on.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Depends on the state. But where my CS is through, all I have to do is call and say that I haven't been paid and they will search his SSN for any employment history.

    Answer by ballewal at 9:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • got it thank yall

    Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010