How many people are REALLY going to India with Obama?

I've heard the figure 3,000, but I don't know if that's true or not. I keep hearing about these hundreds of people going to India with Obama. Who's going, and why is he going there in the first place? I'm assuming diplomacy is part of the reason (i.e. meeting with the head of state).

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 9:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The WH wont divulge numbers and amounts because of SECURITY hahahaha ***cough*** BS ***cough***

They KNOW it's extreme and thats why they wont! It may not be THAT much but I bet its TOO much and just like other issues they could diffuse this RIGHT now but they wont. They will wait a  week or so then come up with some crazy story to try and pass off and their credibility to anyone not stuck up his rear will fall even more.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• maybe he's checking on the jobs that have been outsourced to India....
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm not going to India with Obama but I am going to Ireland, England and France with my family in August. : )
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• At this point, there is no credible source to disclose any of the numbers--not how many people will be accompanying President Obama, nor the total cost of the trip. It was irresponsible for anyone to throw out those figures without any way to back them up. From what I read, the number of people reported (3,000) and the cost ($200 million/day) are grossly exaggerated, and unsubstantiated, although at least one politician didn't wait to check on the facts before throwing out those numbers to help her in her campaign.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The allegation has generated a great deal of Internet discourse over the past few days, including a Washington Times post that claims Obama‚Äôs entourage on the trip "will spend enough to bankrupt a small nation." According to the Economic Times and The Daily Mail, Obama will take over the entire 570-room Taj Mahal Hotel for the trip. A Google search for the exact words of the original Press Trust article returned about 11,000 results.
    Anonymous

• I'm envious Jeanclaudia. I got to go to London, Dublin and Galway in 98. I'd LOVE to get back there again.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Once again, here is a post that has digressed from a question to ugly, unfounded speculations. "Probably", "I'll bet", "they'll wait a week and then. . ." How do you all come up with your assumptions? On what do you base your beliefs? It doesn't matter what President Obama does, you view it with suspicion, attach underhanded motives and run with it as far as you can--without having anything to back up your claims and accusations.

Auto, your totally off-topic comment is one of the few sane ones I've seen on here.  I think you deserve a "thumbs up" for that.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• http://www.opposingviews.com/i/rep-michele-bachmann-obama-spending-200m-a-day-in-india
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Can I join you, jeanclaudia? :-)
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am not real sure wht the point of your link was Kerp. Al it says is that that woman said that figure and no one knows if its true or false.

HERE is a CBS link http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021841-503544.html

Earlier this week, the Press Trust of India reported that the United States will "be spending a whopping $200 million per day on President Barack Obama's visit" to Mumbai.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010