working at walmart yea or nay?

I'm so desperate to help in the household financially. I'm a sahm and we are struggling. SO's hours will keep me from getting a daytime job especially since we dont want to put ds in daycare (and of course with the cost of daycare I'd make no profit anyway). I've tried to find babysitting jobs, no luck. I have a bad back and am a clutz so working at a restaraunt is a bad idea. Last place I want to work, but might be an only option, a night shift (PT) at wally world. I heard they treat their employees like shit and of course they suck the money out of locally owned business...and the ones in my area are open 24/7 so I wouldnt get off for holidays...I'm just trying to find any plus side besides bringing home a bit of money....thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• if your desperate then yay, if you can avoid working as an walmart employee at all costs, then id do that and work somewhere else
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If your desperate enough I'd say go for it but as a former employee of the Wal mart Empire...IT SUCKS!
    Anonymous

• ive never worked for them, but i have a friend that does, and honestly, she loooves it!! shes been with them for a year now. but id say if your desperate, its worth a shot..you can always quit, if it really is as bad as ppl say it is..what about working at starbucks?? my mom worked with them for 17 years and loooooved it..plus all the benefits..good luck finding something :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I agree that if you're desperate, then yay. I would also try the mall since maybe they'll be hiring for the holidays.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i would do it and see hwo the money is versus whatever is so bad and then stop it if you and your SO assess it together god bless
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• thanks for the blessing silverelf!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• As a former employee that left walmart because of the customers I say go for it.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I worked at walmart for almost 3 years and I loved it. It all depends on your supervisors on how you are treated. I had a great supervisor and manager that were very fair with everyone.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i worked o/n wally world for 3 years!! it's not a good job for bad backs, there's lots of stocking, moving around, squating and lifting. and the worse part about it was they give you a time limit of how long it should take for a department to be stocked. have you tried maybe hospitals or home nurseing cares in your area? there might be possibility for overnight positions that may have positions for not straining a person's back.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 10:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I say go for it. If you need the money then you take what you can get. I might be doing the same thing here and I would have to work at fast food and that is the one thing I swore to myself I would never do. But if I have to then I will. I do know a few people that work at walmart and they dont think it is to bad...I only know one person who had a bad experience.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010