Can parents force a 14 year old to give her child up for adoption?

A 14 year old who lives near me is pregnant and her parents say that she has to give her baby up for adoption and they are the parents so they decide. And obviously a 14 year old cannot raise a baby anyway (I think this is completely untrue - I think many 14 year olds are just told they can't do it so think they can't - 14 years of age would have been a perfectly average age to get married and have a baby a couple of hundred years ago, obviously there are many different cases though, as with mothers of all ages!!) ... They are a strict family and the 14 year old thinks she has no rights to her own baby even though she has confided in my daughter and me that she is desperate to keep the child and she loves them. Anyone know the legalities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• While a 14 yr old might be emotionally capable of raising a baby she is not usually financially able to do so w/out her parents help. A 14 yr old cant get a real job. If she wants to keep her child she could try to find another person to live with if her parents wont help her. They might not legally be able to "make" her give the child up but they can emotionally coherse her into it. which is sad but its probably what is going to happen unless there is another adult she can turn to for help.
    Anonymous

• I believe so considering she is still a minor
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would think her best option would be to speak to her school counselor and/or nurse. Chances are they will have more information than anyone here will... Things like this can change from state to state and someone like that will have more options and more information at their finger tips that will be area specific. They will also have contact information for open adoption agencies as well as doctors and legal help if need be...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There is also some risk here that if she does fight them, they can press charges against the father if they don't do so anyways...

Sad but true!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I thought there were parental rights that she would have to sign away....and if she dosnt want to give up her kid then she dosnt have to sign. But because she is a minor im not to sure...try looking it up on google. Thats the only thing that i can think of. I have a friend that had a kid at 14 and raised her. So i think she would be able to do it.
    Anonymous

• I don't no for a fact or anything, but I do not think they can make her give the baby up, that I would think is her choice. She would have to sign papers. On a place to live she could maybe check out a women's shelter of possibly foster care. Idk, just some ideas.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Most states give pregnant minors their majority, making it legal for her to work, to sign contracts (except marriage licenses) and depriving her parents of the right to force her into adoption.

Check out your state's laws. The school councilors will probably know, so you can talk to them.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• she does not have to give the baby up for adoption. she can also become an emancipated minor and then possibly, if you were willing, live with you. you should help her out. this could ruin her life if she is forced to give her baby away. that is just horrible.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Her parents cannot force her to give up her baby! It is NOT theirs to get "rid" of! This girl has options now that she's pregnant. She's not your everyday 14 yr old anymore. My niece had her baby at age 13 and her mother wanted her to give it to her to raise - she didn't and now, 8 yrs later she is a very good mother to her son and new baby dd. One thing that this girl can do is talk to an attorney and ask about being emancipated. Once she is, she can work a job like McDonalds, etc. It's good that you and your dd are befriending her giving her someone to talk to and brain storm with. Keep that line of communication open - she's gonna need you both! I am helping a newly single mom by watching her 3 mo old while she works. I am not in it for the money - that will come later....I am in it to provide a loving safe environment that this baby can be in while mommy works and mommy knows she is safe and loved! Help this girl please!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No, she doesn't HAVE to place her baby for adoption but, how is she going to care for it? It could be the best thing for her, a 14 y/o CAN NOT support a baby. She can't become an emancipated minor unless she can prove to a judge that she can support herself.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010