Moving in together/getting married he wants his daughter to have her own room while my kids share a room?

Ok boyfriend and I got engaged. He lives in another state only about 2 hours away though. And he has already said he is willing to move up here and move in with me once we get married. My family is here,and I go to school here, ive got a 3 bedroom house that my family is renting to me so I can afford it. So anyways, he said he wants his daughter (shes 10) to have her own room here. he has her every other weekend, one night a week and then 4 weeks in the summer. And he wants her to feel like she has her own place and can come over whenever she wants. Well I understand that and I told him that we would figure it out. But the more I think about my 3yr old daughter (she will be 4 by this time) and my almost 2yr old son sharing a room well its going to suck. Especially when his daughter is not even here the majority of the time. But he wont budge, she must have her own room Am i getting hung up on something dumb?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• That makes no logical sense. She is not there most of the time. I wouldn't budge either, the girls share a room and the boy gets his own, that's just what makes the most sense.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No, I don't think you are. I see no reason why she can't share a room with your daughter whilst there? Especially since if he's so concerned with her getting settled in then she should be getting settled in with her new step-sister also.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No, he is dumb. You should do bunk beds or a trundle bed for the girls room, and your son should have his own room. Boys and girls shouldn't be sleeping in the same bedroom.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yeah, that's not cool. The 2 girls should have a room and your son should have his own. Have the girl come over and go shopping with you to pick out all her new things for the room. Buy her a new bed or a set of bunks. Let her pick her bedding and wall accents etc. Other than that there is no way it's fair to give her her own room when she's only there part time.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't think so...I think the girls should share and your son has his own room. If you had two girls or two boys I would agree with him but that's not the case
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, i think that both of you have valid points, she is older..would you want to share a room with your 4 year old step sister if you were 10? On the other hand your children will be there all the time and they are getting older and are different genders. Is there anyway you guys could look into getting a bigger house together? Or converting another room into a bedroom for her?
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• sounds like his daughter is keeper of his heart..i dont think he will ever make room for anyone else
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i agree with everyone too, girls should share the room especially when shes not there very much
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Ummm.... he's being ridiculous. The girls should share a room.
    BTW, I came from a step family. My step sister shared a room with me when she came to visit. I nicely gave up my bed and slept on the floor when she was there.

Also, my ex has remarried. My son used to have his own room at his house, but my ex's new wife has a son and a daughter. My son now shares a room when he visit's his dad. It's not big deal.

Maybe a compromise...maybe you would be willing to let his daughter have the room to herself when she is there and your daughter can 'camp out' in your son's room for that time. But for the rest of the time, it should be your daughter's room.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i think it would make more sense for the two girls to share a room, and the boy to have his own room. it makes sense to me. my dh has a ss, if we have two kids a boy and a girl, the boys are going to share the room and the girl gets her own room. if we have two girls the girls would share a room and ss gets his own room. just makes sense, especially when they start getting older.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 10:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010