Upcoming international flight at 20 weeks. Any input?

I may be over-reacting, but I'm concerned that flying may harm my baby--maybe the cabin's air pressure?. I'll be 20 wks along. The nurse looked at me like I was crazy when I asked her, and said that she'd never heard of problems of pregnant women flying. BUT...

Should I cancel? Should I go?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 10:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went to HI when I was around 20 wks (total 9 or 10 hrs of flight). You'll be fine if you sit in one of those big planes and pick your seats early, try to pick a seat that's all the way in the front that has more leg room or by the emergency exit area that has a lot of room too. Don't pick seats in the back close to the bathroom. Go to walmart/riteaid buy a compression stocking for travel and drink a lot a lot fo water so you go to bathroom pretty often and also you need to walk around once every hr or 2. Don't fall asleep for a long time you need to move around to prevent blood clot. Bring some snacks so you will not be too hungry. around 20wks is the best time to travel the belly is not too big and you should feel pretty good without morning sickness. Have fun!!!
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I was always told no flying in the third trimester...So at 20 weeks you should be fine =) But with it being an international flight I wouldnt do it. But thats just me....I was always so uncomfortable when i was pregnant so having to be on a plane would be awful for me.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• 20 weeks in an uncomplicated pregnancy you should be fine. Just remember to get up and walk around to prevent blood clots and stay very well hydrated.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have never had a high risk pregnancy, and my doctor always ok'd my flying up till 32 weeks.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I flew a lot until my 3rd trimester. Actually your 2nd trimester is the best time to fly and travel. You're hoepfully through the "blah" of the 1st triemester, and you don't have to worry about early labor like your 3rd tri.

Good luck!
    Addi
    addix2

Answer by addix2 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010