How do I get my baby to sleep more?

My 12 month old baby wakes up 2-4 times a night?! I tried putting rice in his milk and he puked:( I really want him to sleep through the night, but if he only got up once would be amazing. I really need some input PLEASE;)

BJN2in10

Asked by BJN2in10 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I learned this from my grandmother, who raised several children. There is bedtime and there is play time. When he wakes in the middle of the night, go to him very quietly, speak in a soothing voice. Change him, feed him without turning on anything bigger than a night light. Tell him it's night night time, and it's time for him to go to sleep. Always quietly, in a very low-keyed voice. You don't want to stimulate him in any way. Try this for a few nights and see if it helps.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Have you tried putting him to sleep and just walking away and letting him cry it out?
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I always would put my babies to sleep in their own beds, and if they woke up during the night, I would just bring them to my bed. They would go right back to sleep and sleep well the rest of the night. They are now 6 and 4 years old, and they sleep really well in their own beds, all night.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• rice in his milk???
    do you feed him food during the day??
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Just curious...why would you rather not let him sleep with you?
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• They have soothing vibrations attachments, even in crib mattresses, it works like a charm. Get a crib cd player attachment, play baby go to sleep songs with mothers heartbeat, gentle rain or waterfall, I've used in my in home daycare, very effective. Bathe in lavender and chamomile shampoos and bath wash Gerber Grins and Giggles. They have many different scents, I love them for myself even..lol! Good luck sweetie, have a blessed day, and a good nights rest!
    tinanichols

Answer by tinanichols at 1:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Purpul, yes I do feed him food during the day, but at night he likes to have milk. Gumby I wish that I could let him cry it out but we sleep in the same room. not to mention my in laws are directly above us:( Jeanette you're right If I bring him into bed with me he does sleep pretty well, but I really don't want to have to do that.
    BJN2in10

Comment by BJN2in10 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If you do not swaddle, I would STRONGLY encourage that to start. Make sure they are not too hot or too cold.. whichI am sure you have already done.. So really the only thing I can suggest is maybe a storm cd if it does not scare him, rain helps alot of ppl sleep including my 1 1/2 yr old. or maybe just a cuddle buddy, like a glow worm or something, at that age they really seem to want things like that, my son HAS to have his little "Larry cucumber" from veggie tales to go to sleep. lol. I hope this helped.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh I almost forgot... being in alot of sunlight during the day somehow helps set your sleeping at night schedule. I know that is true.. and whatever you do, do NOT turn on a bright light when he cries, when u are at the between stage when you are still tired, any kind of stimulant to your pupils will make you wake up fully. Good luck.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2010