Is it child abuse to smoke in the car with your kids?

My parents did. I knmow lots of other parents that do. I do not smoke. When I did smoke, I did not smoke in the car with the kids in it with me. Really, I should not have smoked in there at all. Anyway, with all of the proof that secondhand smoke is horrible to one's health, should it be con sidered abuse if a person smokes in their car with their children in there? Should it be abuse to smoke in your home around your child?

cesarpup

Asked by cesarpup at 10:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think it's child abuse, but I sure wouldn't do it or recommend it. I know tons of people who did and tons of people who's parents did and I wouldn't consider them a situation of child abuse.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I had a substitute teacher in grade school who would sit on the teacher's desk and chain smoke all day long. My parents just laughed when we tried to tell on her.

Is it Abuse to smoke with your child in the car or in your home? Probably not. Child Endangerment is more likely.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Unfortunately I am a smoker myself but have not once ever smoked in my home or in my car, whether my children are there or not! I see this alot when i'm driving down the road, both parents with a lit cigarette and the poor babies in the backseat and surrounded by a cloud of smoke. It is terrible!! Yes i'd consider this child abuse for exposing them to second hand smoke and all the dangers that come with it. As if they couldn't wait 10 minutes until they got home to smoke!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Is it the best thing to do,no, but it's not child abuse nor should it be.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yes it is child abuse and should be considered child abuse. and this is comming from a former smoker of 10 years. just quit 4 weeks ago.
    here in ny, its not illegal to smoke in the house with kids but its illegal to smoke in the car. im not sure what happens if you get caught though. it may just be a ticket.
    my dad just quit smoking a few months ago, but my stepmom still smokes and they always smoke(d) around my little sister and she is sick ALL the time with ear infections & etc. - they used to smoke around me too but i dont think i got the effects because i was only there every other weekend.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes it IS child abuse. In my opinion, that should be grounds to remove children from a home. Why would ANYBODY do that? It is disgusting and horrible parenting. Poor kids have no say over what their parents do to them. Knowingly inflicting health complications on your child is abuse. It is illegal to buy cigarettes for minors...thats no different.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If feeding your kids McDonald's/fast food for lunch is not considered child abuse, I don't believe that smoking with children in the car should be considered child abuse either. Both of them are bad for anyone's health and we all know it.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, I don't think people should be allowed to smoke in public places at all, if it's harmful to their child it's harmful to mine. I don't want to breathe it and I don't want my kids to do so either! With all of the risks we know of, it amazes me that people still inflict that on others.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Apples to oranges, I think.
    If one were to ONLY feed their child fast food and never offer helathy food.....and not give their kids a choice,...that is not abuse...neglect??
    These kids cannot just walk or drive themselves....they have no choice but to deal with the smoke.
    In answer to Mcdonalds being abuse...if that is all that is offered...yes, it is abuse. If the kids are in a car and the onkly air offered is polluted with smoke...yes, that is abuse.
    cesarpup

Comment by cesarpup (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The ones that say move the child from the home, never been in the system or if they have been was very lucky to have a good foster home. I will tell you every foster home I lived in did things worse to us kids then smoking in the car with us. Before you go and say take the kids away think about that one.

No I don't think its good to smoke in the car with kids, but its not grounds to take the children away from their parents.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 10:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010