Why are my dogs fighting?

They are shepherd/lab mix. Both boyd, neither fixed. 5 month old brothers have been together sonce birth. They started fighting today over food/attention/toys/bones. I got them to stop but there is obvious tension between them. What is going on????
I bring them to the park every day and they get lots of exercise, we have lots of toys, and we love them both very much.

cesarpup

Asked by cesarpup at 10:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pets

• They are starting to mature now, so it is natural for them to try to dominate each other, especially because they are the same sex and they are not fixed.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Maybe they are trying to establish who is going to be the alpha male. I don't know if that is to young or not.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• ...because they aren't fixed. They are old enough to start fighting over territory. So go get them snipped.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Get them fixed!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• crap.....I figured as much. I can make an appointment but it may have to wait until I have the cash.....what do I do in the meantime?
    cesarpup

Comment by cesarpup (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Check out your local spca they do low cost snipping. You can also talk to your regular vet. The boys are less expensive then than girls are. He/She maybe able to set up a payment plan you can afford.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 12:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If they are fighting over toys, food and whatever else that is called resource guarding which is a very normal dog behavior. However, you can work with them. There is a book called Mine! Resourse guarding in dogs by jean Donaldson. You can get it on Amazon. I would pick up all of the toysm bones anything that they are being possesive of for now and getting them neutered will also help.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Umm...have them fixed. They are both trying to be the alpha male and fixing them will quell the hormones. Also make sure they know you are the boss, the leader, of the pack and then they won't need to find out who is dominant.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 2:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Just as the others have said - they are fighting for dominance - figuring out who will be top dog.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The just do that everything will work out in the long run
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2010