This article, is just astounding, especially if it is accurate. What are we doing to ourselves?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101104/hl_nm/us_obesity_usa

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 10:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Obesity has gotten out of hand over the years.  Take a look at the Trends by State 1985–2009

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• IDK. I better got dump all of my fat friends before I catch it.

Seriously though, parts of it make sense because if you hang with people that eat a lot and have a sedentary lifestyle, then it's more likely that you will work that lifestyle in as well. I suppose the best place to make friends is in the gym.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, the good news is that if one in the group decides to get fit- they might all get fit. I can see how its accurate though- here in CO most are thin and active. When I moved here I felt motivated to go out and join my new friends in being active and healthy. We also build our social activity around being active instead of eating. We are more likely to ski, bike or hike with Moms and kids than go to McDonalds for a play date like we did when I lived in other states.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I agree with Quinn in a way it does make sense.Kerpilu that is what I have seen alot of a well..activities with a big focus on food/eating..and not much (if any) physical activity..well othe than the jaw lol.

Babylove..those with medical issues and medications causing them to have weight troubles is the exception..and it's really a small amount of folk in the grand scheme..most are just not focused enough on being healthier or they are just flat out lazy and don't use moderation.

47 percent will be considered obese thats bad real bad
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• southern cooking redder alot of fried up stuff lol..seriously I think one of the biggest problems is that alot of folks have lost moderation.Fatty foods have always been around but I think motfolks used to use moderation and they got more physical activity than alot do today...everything has became so convenient and along with that TOO easy to kick back not getting exercise.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• That chart Musicmom linked was disturbing. Such a quick decline.

I agree with the article. People who hang out with active friends are more likely to be active. People who hang out with sedentary friends are more likely to be sedentary. That doesn't mean to not have obese friends, it just means be aware of your OWN activity level. Get up and go for a walk, your friends will still be there when you return, and you can make them a salad.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 7:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have always been active and choose to only hang with people who are into DOING things--skiing, SCUBA diving, walking, jogging, hiking, biking, etc. I find it incredibly boring to just "sit around." I also find that those who do not have active interests to be boring as well. So, merely by BEING active, I end up associating with like-minded and physically fit people...really, is that a crime now?!

And for what it's worth, I wholeheartedly support ANYONE who WANTS to become active, begin an exercise routine, change their eating habits, etc. I don't mock those who TRY to improve their lives in any way!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Hmmm... maybe I have good reason to divorce my dh now. Ok, not funny, but wow, I can see that happening. I have been trying so hard to lose a final 15 lbs (I've lost a total of 30 lbs in the past 2 yrs), but I just can't get motivated to exercise like I should. Part of it is because I work too much, but most of it is due to the fact that I feel weird going downstairs to work out while the dh sits around on the computer or in front of the tv eating a whole bag of chips.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• How interesting. It could be true. My parents and my own family , kids and grandkids grandkids are all slim and fit. Our friends were too. WE didn't eat in restaurants very often and we cooked at home with basic ingredients and small portions.
    But I see lots of younger women in the neighborhood who are obese and all of their get-togethers feature FOOD. Restaurants, luncheons with too much food, Bunco parties in the evening with tons of food and lots of the rich desserts. All their social activities are built around eating . And cooking parties. etc. They live to eat ....instead of eating to live.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• "We also build our social activity around being active instead of eating."

I've noticed since I've lived here that there is still food, but it's usually a good balance of treats and healthy foods, and there is always a lot of activity involved like playing in the yard or gathering at the park.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010