When's the best time to start potty training?

Well my son is 14 months old. And I would like to know when is it best to start potty training him? Cause im not for sure when..

chocolatelove88

Asked by chocolatelove88 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when the child shows an interest in it and is ready-
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When the child is consistently waking up dry, and when they show an interest. Don't rush it. Boys tend to potty train later than girls. After he turns 2 is usually when they begin to have an interest.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't know if it is different with boys and girls, since I have three girls at the moment, but I waited until they started showing interest in the potty before I even tried anything. And then, once they started showing signs of being ready, I just let them sit on it whenever they wanted. I learned really quickly with my first two (twins) that pushing them, and really trying to pt them, didn't work...it was much easier to let them take it slow and do it on their time, and all three of them were potty trained by the time they were 2 1/2, completely, day and night.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When they're ready. My son was around 2 1/2 when we started actively training, but he just wouldn't even sit on the potty (despite bribes/rewards), so I backed off for a few weeks - I kept the potty around and continued to let him into the bathroom when I had to go (he loved flushing from early on), but I didn't say anything about him going to the potty. After some time off, he was willing to first sit on the potty, then start going pee in it. We're in no real rush, and neither of us could stay in for 3 days straight to do the 3 Day method, so I'm trying to just let him go at it at his own pace. He's good with pee these days, but we're still working on using public toilets and going poo in the potty.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 12:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• IMOP I would say around 18mos to early on you cant expect them to hold it until they get to the potty. However evey child is different, andsome are ready FAR earlier than others.. Here are some signs of readiness to help you decide..
    .Fewer wet diapers: Like I said they can't be expected to hold it for the potty if it's every 5 mins or so
    .Predictable bowel movements
    .Taking off the diaper on their own
    .or if he knows the words pee and poop (Or what ever you choose to call it)

I hope this helped you decide, and Good Luck!
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2010