Why do Christians get so defensive when someone asks about their religion?

I've noticed that christians tend to get their back up if someone asks anything about their beliefs. Why is there not respect when speaking of your religion? Do you want others to listen with an open mind and heart, or do you wish to shut others out completely? If you wish for others to listen, and SEE the love and light your God supposedly gives you, then why the disrespect when speaking of him? I don't get it.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian and I juat want to let you know that not all of us are like that. I know a lot of christians that would love to have a nice simple talk about our religion. SO please don't think all christians are like that. Thats horrible of anyone to be.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 10:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• They want other's to listen, but they do not hear themselves....Instead it turn's them into judgemental, hateful people rather than loving, accepting people. When you speak so loudly like that, no one listens...!
    ChrisandLiz

Answer by ChrisandLiz at 10:24 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Katyameliasmom:

I appreciate your answer. I know a few like you speak of; but the latter truly outweigh the other. It's a shame really. The few that I know that are truly encompassed with love, have helped me to look at christianity in a different, more understanding light.
    But boy, those others make is SO difficult not to be just as judgemental back at them for their ways. KWIM?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Chrisandliz
    You know I love ya girl, and I TOTALLY hear ya!! It's frustrating isn't it? Why the need for such condemnation? Why the need to point fingers? Wasn't or isn't the Chistian god about forgiveness? I don't see much of that. I see people wanting place judgement and punishment on those they "deem" worthy of such. BLEH!!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm a Christian and I strive ever day to be the "right" kind! It really hurts me when I see other Christians posting hurtful things in God's name. Yes, we are supposed to help people understand what serving God is all about, but it needs to come from a place of love for God's children. If it's not, then it is doing more harm then good! When I read those kind of things, I cringe and think, "oh please don't identify yourself as a Christian!"
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm a Christian too! How I see it is....Christians will say something about their religion and get knocked for it....but yet..the others who are knocking expect Christians to shut up and see their point of view. It's like how in life they talk about evolution and the big bang theory and it's acceptable to talk about...but not how God created the earth...now why is it ok for them to spread about evolution but we can't spread the word about how earth was really done? I don't believe in evolution or the big bang theory so why do we Christians have to except that?
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Stayhomemom, I understand your point, and feel your pain, but I always try to remember if someone is coming at me for my beliefs, I am supposed to hold myself to a higher standard. It's not easy, but like you pointed out, people are looking for reasons to discount what Christians have to say, and I don't want to make it any easier. As far as the evolution and big bang therory, I don't buy it either, and don't want that or other anti-Christian messages being taught to my kids, and that's why we homeschool (well, that and about another 100 reasons)!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I believe some christians get "knocked" for their beliefs, b/c they appear so hypocritical. They one thing, judging and conedemning one group of people, but refuse to point that finger upon themselve. It;s always about how the "other" person is sinning. Never about themselves. I don't think that is right.

And the Theory of Evolution and The Big Bang theory are rooted in science, and facts. The idea of a god creating earth is a belief, not a fact. You can't expect everyone to believe in your God. It is a faith based belief that not everyone is going to adhere too. It's impossible to expect that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I don't think the Big band theory or any other science based idea/fact, is Anti christian. Just like I don't believe the belief that god created the earth is "anti" science. It just simply is a different belief. Claiming it to be "anti" anything, immediately puts those on the defensive that ascribe to it. It connotates a "judgemental" tone to the idea itself.
    Why is there a need for that?
    You shouldn't have to condemn something in order to continue to follow your own path. Because you are not only condemning the idea, but those that follow it as well. It is negative and counterproductive to embracing all people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm not asking anyone else to adhere to what I believe, I'm just not going to allow it to be taught to my kids. Any Christian who claims to be sinless, is just deluding themselves-- the Bible says ALL have fallen short of the glory of God! I've always liked the old saying, "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven!"
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 1, 2008