S/O of crazy welfare question

did you know that parents who take in foster children receive state aid? and sometimes those food stamp/aid cards? And that's why sometimes people have expensive, nice things, and are still using PA?
(it depends on the state, of course and how they do things)

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i have no clue what your talking about, not saying your wrong i just never heard that. My stepmother was a foster parent and she received payment as most foster parents do, but never food stamps. What ever she got was to care for the kids.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 11:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• my dear friend is a single foster parent of 2 teenagers... the kids get state insurance (medicaid), but my friend doesn't qualify for food stamps because of her income... she does get some money per month for each child, but it goes toward caring for them and nothing extra... she also has 2 teenagers of her own... she is not getting rich caring for other peoples children... i think that if a family (or single parent) has the heart and time to take in other peoples children to raise, then they deserve any state assistance that they could qualify for...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 12:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• One of my brothers foster parents got food stamps for them. My mom got them for her foster kids before she went all nuts. The card was the same one everyone else got.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I also don't think they take into consideration that maybe other people, family and such buy nice things for them. Maybe their old rich aunt got them that designer purse, or their dad is the one who bought them that blackberry. Maybe its a knock off, maybe it was bought at a thrift store. Making ASSumptions about someone.....well you know.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• They do in my state (AL) a good friend of mine has fostered 8 children and adopted 4. Another good friend adopted 5 children from one family and until the adoption went through she did too. Along with medicaid. They didnt get FS although they could have. They did get WIC and medicaid and a check. They also got a small bonus check at Christmas. These arent large amounts but meant to be supplemental!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• They do in my state (AL) a good friend of mine has fostered 8 children and adopted 4. Another good friend adopted 5 children from one family and until the adoption went through she did too. Along with medicaid. They didnt get FS although they could have. They did get WIC and medicaid and a check. They also got a small bonus check at Christmas. These arent large amounts but meant to be supplemental!
    __________________
    Oh, yeah... I just wanted to bring up another (good) scenario about why people have the cards...it just helps a bit.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes I did know. Do I think it is right? Well, I believe that 80% use it for good and correctly. And 20% abuse the shit out of it. I also believe that if we accepted this fact, we could allocate the right money to go after the 20%.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yep I know someone who totally abuses the system taking in foster kids. They are not mean or abusive to he kids, but they ARE doing it for the money and the benefits. And the person has a good paying job on top of it. Makes me wonder sometimes. And he kicked all 3 of his kids out when they reached the age of 16 and then took in foster kids. It makes those that do it for good reasons look bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Thought you might to look at the different rates according by states.  Foster Care Rates by State

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I am a foster parent and we do get WIC. We also get a monthly stipend per child. It varies by age and state/county allowances and by special needs level. So yes, I am that person carrying a nice handbag and getting milk, cheese, bread, fruits and veggies paid for by state aid. It has nothing to do with our income. When going to the WIC office, as a foster parent you have to show the proof of fostering and take the child to their appointments there so they can track their health, etc. They also qualify for Medicaid. Do I feel bad for taking the help provided? No. I feel it is being provided directly for the children and used in a proper manner.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2010