How can I get my daughter to potty train?

My daughter is 3 1/2 and refuses to use the potty. Every once in awhile, we can get her to sit on it but she doesn't go potty. She hates being without a diaper on and screams if we try to get her to use the potty. We have tried treats, stickers, etc and NOTHING works on this girl. I'm starting to worry that she won't be potty trained by the time she can go to school.

Acook331

Asked by Acook331 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The biggest thing is not to push the issue. She will when she is ready. You just have to be patient. She's not going to be 7 and still wearing diapers :) It sounds like right now, the diaper is a security thing for her.

All we did was encourage our kids to use the potty when we thought it looked like they had to go. They loved when we did the "pee pee" dance. We made up a silly dance and song that we would sing everytime they went potty. One day it just all clicked and they were trained. We still had accidents now and then, but overall they were trained.

Good Luck!!
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 7:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I say put her in underwear and if she wets them let her stay in them for a little while not for a long time because that is neglect but a little bit enough for the urine to get cold and be uncomfortable. Thats what my mother-in-law did with her little girls and she had 3 of them. my neice also would not potty train and that worked well with her. they dont like that uncomfortable cold feeling and if she knows you are going to leave her in it she will catch on real soon that big girls use the potty. I mean it is worth a try.
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2010