What does it "really" mean to lose your mucus plug?

I'm scheduled for a section Monday due to the baby being breach. I did a TON of walking last night for Halloween with the kiddos. This morning my tummy is real sore and I keep losing my mucus plug each time I go to the bathroom. I've heard some say that it's not a big deal and that doesn't mean you'll go into labor shortly after losing it. Then others say it's the beginning. What does it really mean, if anything, when you lose it??

KennsWifey

Asked by KennsWifey at 10:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You only lose the mucus plug once. If you're spotting each time you go to the bathroom, I'd call your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yeah no worries
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• it's different for everyone. And to the first anon. you can lose parts of your mucus plug. It doesn't always come out all at once. I lost mine when my water broke, so birth came soon after. Others lose it a week or two before. I'd def. call the doc to see if they are interested in checking you for dialation. They may want you in the hosp b/c of the breech position in case baby decides to come out early!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• You can lose your plug in pieces, which is what's likely happening to you. It *is* the beginning of labor, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen today. It really doesn't help with the timeline. You should call your doctor though, to see if they want to check you. Some women lose their plug weeks before, some not until their water breaks. I've even known a few women who lost them so early that they "grew" back for lack of a better term.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• u can lose ur plug at once or a little at a time. It just means that ur goin to go into labor soon. maybe a couple of days maybe a week. never know..... i never lost mine with my daughter. but it doesnt matter if u lose it or not. if u go into labor they will stop u and take u for ur c section.. my water broke b4 i could even get a c section date with my daughter :)
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Loosing it doesn't mean you'll go into labor tomorrow, but it is an indication of cervical change. I lost mine with my second over a month before he was born. Your mucous plug can actually come out and regrow, I recently had mine come out at 29.5 weeks and freaked out, but found out it can grow back. Sometimes babies will turn head down at the very last minute, which means you might be able to have a vaginal labor. I wonder if they might be able to manually turn the baby to avoid major surgery. I've heard of this being done successfully.
    alicia0820

Answer by alicia0820 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2008