I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son since birth (2 weeks) and now due to improper latching he has lost some weight and has some loose watery stools thats soak into the diaper along with that he has a diaper rash. And all together I'm just not loving breastfeeding anymore. I loved it at first but now its just very painful and I feel as if he is suffering. Any advice?

aelaird1124

Asked by aelaird1124 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first two weeks or so are not fun. My LO had a hard time latching for a while too. As long as he's pooping and peeing like he should (watery stools are normal), everything is fine. As far as the diaper rash goes, my DS had some too. Whenever I'd change his diaper, I'd leave a wipe over his wee-wee, and let him air dry. No diaper rash since!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• have your tried pumping and using a bottle that way you can see how much he is getting and you can't get a break without loosing your milk. Also have you thought about switching to formula. You should talk to a lactation specialist they will be happy to help.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 12:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• loose watery stools are very normal for a breastfed baby. Diaper rash, not so much. Try changing soon after a poo, also air dry his bum.
    If that does not work, it could be a reaction to something you are eating.
    Get yourself to a lactation counselor!!! Breast feeding takes a lot of work and effort but it is so rewarding!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The nurse practitioner that I take my him too is also a lactation specialist. she is trying to help but like I said I'm just not loving it anymore. And I have a lot of pressure on me to keep breastfeeding him. i just don't know what to do and Im stressing myself out about how much he's eating an how often. I can't even think about anything else.
    aelaird1124

Comment by aelaird1124 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you don't love it than stop. It's okay. Pump and bottle feed if you are super in love with your LO getting only breast milk. Pump every 2 hours. If you are not happy all together than formula feed. ITS OKAY. Some people don't try, some do. Some people can't and want to, no matter what you choose ITS FINE.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you want to continue breast feeding you could pump it into a bottle, that way you can keep track of how much he is eating. You will know he is getting enough. If you wanted to switch to formula, try enfamil newborn 0-3mos. (Closest to breastmilk) but before quitting breastfeeding I would encourage you to talk to a breastfeeding consultant.. They really are alot of help, just call a hotline, you can google them. They deal with these exact problems every day. :)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If this is NOT what you want, then stop. Is the lactation specialist an IBCLC? If not, you might want to look into seeing one. That is, if you want to continue. Breastmilk on the rash can help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• "have your tried pumping and using a bottle that way you can see how much he is getting "

That doesn't tell you anything. Pump output is not at all related to what baby takes in.

OP, drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We have an aggregate of a couple of centuries of experience, and the forum is better suited to troubleshooting problems (no character limitations on answers).

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• "The nurse practitioner that I take my him too is also a lactation specialist. she is trying to help but like I said I'm just not loving it anymore."

Well, I never loved it. But I don't love a lot of things I have to do.

"And I have a lot of pressure on me to keep breastfeeding him."

This is a decision between you and the woman in your mirror. No one else.

"i just don't know what to do and Im stressing myself out about how much he's eating an how often."

Those are two things too many... and the wrong things! **smile** DIPES. Just count DIPES. 6-8 changes a day is ALL you need to think about because that many changes mean baby is getting enough. Smash your clocks.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• "If you want to continue breast feeding you could pump it into a bottle, that way you can keep track of how much he is eating."

Well... yes and now. It's more work, but there is an exclusively pumping group you can check out if you want to consider that route.

"If you wanted to switch to formula, try enfamil newborn 0-3mos. (Closest to breastmilk)"

All formulas are actually equally close to breastmilk. None is actually closest to it clinically speaking.

The choice is dictated by baby. The "best" formula is the one baby will take. That's all, really.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010