Any ideas for potty training a stubborn 2 yr old?

my daughter was doing well on potty training until the birth of her twin brothers, i have tried rewards, timeouts, charts and everything in between but she seems stuck on being the baby, im open to any creative ideas

yellagurl84

Asked by yellagurl84 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just throwing out ideas that might let her feel more in control: let her drop a marble in a jar and when the jar is full, she can get something she wants or likes? Or drop coins in a jar and then she can use that money to buy something she likes?
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 12:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i had the same problem i have a 6mth old an my other is going on 3 in december.....so you i know where you are comming from with the regressing...my son did it to at 1st i gave it some time for the newness of the baby to go away.....then i jumped in head 1st with the big boy draws an everything. no potty chair just good ole big boy draws....we even went on a long trip, day 2 of potty training, in the car having to pee at gas stations an not being home.....it was a complete success....just keepin in mind the reward always has to be bigger than the task at hand...good luck and let the potty training 101 begin
    KeaganMark

Answer by KeaganMark at 12:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have an in home daycare, and we do lots of what you've tried too. It sounds like a little jealousy of the new arrival of the twins. Try giving her a tootsie roll only for bowel movements, and a sticker for all the tinkles. Read books, and make it a fun experience like a circus, play circus music, get a felt board with animals, a dry erase board, or a magnetic board, only to be played at potty time, very important. I used to run sink water, and eventually my daughter went. Take more time, and soon she'll want that new toy at potty time that is specifically for that time, and don't budge. You could also make it fun like getting a helium balloon maker at Walmart or a party store, and blow her up a balloon for all of her gifts, like going to the circus, you can even do face painting, it's effective and works. Good luck sweetie, and congradulations! Have a blessed day!
    tinanichols

Answer by tinanichols at 12:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My nephew regressed when his brother was born, you need to relax on the potty trainging for awhile and bulk up on making her feel special, needed and loved. Any new baby is alot but twins is extra hard on older siblings that are still so young.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My 2 and a half year old was potty trained until I brought her new baby brother home from the hospital. It was a little jealousy. Give it a little time she will come through. My DD was 3 when she was potty trained again.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If push comes to shove sit her on the potty for a few hours with toys and books to keep her sitting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Wait til there 3, my first 4 i rushed and it was so hard, The 5th i tried at 2 and he just would not do it. Come 3 right at 3 he was doing it himself
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• What a few hours or you nuts?
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• honestly, when the child is ready they will potty train. i tried with my now 4 year old when he was 2.5 years old. i continued through 3.5. i got nervous because he was going to start preschool shortly after he turned 3.5 and he wouldn't use the potty. lol, he finally trained in 3 days, the weekend before school started!
    sleepymamaof3

Answer by sleepymamaof3 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Thanks ladies for all of your help!!
    yellagurl84

Comment by yellagurl84 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010