should the mother have been charged?

There is a murder case here that happened in 2007. The trial was about to start when the scum bag suddenly changed his plea to guilty. The victim was a 4 year old boy. He was snatched by a sex offender, intoxicated, molested, murdered and dumped in a dumpster. Its been 3 years and it still upsets me. It was only 10 minute or so from my house. What angers me about the case is that it could have been prevented. The child's mother let the boy wander the streets. He would be seen all the time going into strangers apartments, crossing the street and going into the gas station. And its a busy street. Just roaming like he was a teen and he was 4! The mother said she didn't see a problem, she felt safe. This is also a questionable part of town. Should she have been charged with engagement or neglect? It just kills me that this poor boy could still be alive if she would have took care of him.

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 1:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think she should be charged personally. No 4 year old should have that much freedom, hell, in this day and age it's scary to even give a teen that much freedom, unless they are going with a group.
    Parksey27

Answer by Parksey27 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• This happens too often. Yes, she should be charged for letting a 4 year old have free reign. That's neglect. Granted she will be paying for this mistake for the rest of her life mentally, but how does one say there's nothing wrong with letting a 4 year old out of their sight and into buildings without an adult?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• of course she should have been charged and i cant believe she wasnt! someone should have also called CPS way before he was ever murdered.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yup, I'm with ya!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes, I would think, she should be charged with child endangerment or maybe even abandonment, you can't let a 4 y.o. roam about! For gosh's sake, 4 y.o's are curious beyond belief! Bless his heart, I am sure his a little angel~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think that her having to deal with the consequences of her action will haunt her enough for the rest of her life, that is probably punishment enough. At this point I am not sure I would be for charging but it is sad that he wasn't taken away from her before he had to endure that tragic end.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• ummm yes!!!!!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• That is really a tragedy. I couldn't imagine giving a four year old free reign over the neighborhood. Never in a million years. I think she should be held accountable to some degree, but I can only imagine living with the kind of guilt for the rest of my life. It would be something I would never forgive myself for and the grief of losing a child is an enormous fault to carry. I think that she WILL be punished, most harshly by her own conscious.

My question is, how do child molesters even get back on the street?! What a SICK, twisted, and evil individual.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 2:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• He is a very sick individual. He was a registered sex offender, though I'm not certain what his original crime was or the age of that victim. He has been bragging to his cell mates in jail about what he did to that poor boy. He hasn't been sentenced yet but the death penalty is on the table.
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i think she should be charged with child endangerment and neglect
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 3:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2010