how often do u nurse 5+ months

all of the sudden my son needs to nurse to fall asleep, wakes up 3 times at night when b4 it was only once. He sleeps w/me is 5 months old, has had a cold for a week now and is nursing so frequently my nipples are sore again. think its a phase, the cold? I want to put him in a crib in a month and I'm terrified of these current habits- help, encouragement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stopped nursing at night and gave him bottles (they still had BM) instead. He could drink faster and didn't get up as often for the bottle. Plus my husband could do it too. Then when he got a little older and didn't need anything if he woke up he didn't expect me to nurse him if I just went in and comforted him.

That's what worked for me anyway.  Good luck!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My LO (6months) sleeps in bed with us every night. He nurses throughout the night and sleeps better with my warmth and scent next to him. We also sleep better too because of this.

When babies are sick, they will nurse more - for comfort and for the vitamins they need to fight the infection that are found in your breast milk.

I would say that if you want him to lay in his own bed, nurse him first, then lay him down and and soothe him until he falls asleep elsewhere.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 11:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• He is either nursing for comfort reasons, which isn't going to be forever and it can help him get over his cold, or he is trying to build up your milk supply for a growth spurt. You can suppliment a bottle to help your nipples get a break, but not too often because you want to keep up your milk supply. About the co-sleeping, you can nurse him and put him in his crib or somewhere other than your bed and he will eventually get used to it.
    alicia0820

Answer by alicia0820 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Thank you! I was thinking of trying to do the bottle, but hadn't been able to pump for a few days cause I couldn't put him down or get enough milk built up since he hwas nursing so much. I am going to try that tonight. Actually to think of it when he was waking only once I was giving him a bottle of BM during the night cause again, my nipples were sore or we were traveling etc. It was easier. So, I'm going to try that again. Thank you- couldn't see through the sleep deprived fog I guess...lol
    Anonymous

• It is probably because of the cold. He is too young to establish "bad habits". MY 2nd baby slept with me and nursed throughout the night from birth. At about 6 months old he suddenly started sleeping through the night, so then I moved him into his crib. Give him a little more time!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2008