How can I kick these pre-birth jitters?

I am a 31 year old woman, (turning 32 tomorrow) who was recently married and by recently I mean August 7th of this year. I just found out that we are pregnant with our first child (first for both of us) and I am so naive to all of the things necessary for a healthy pregnancy. What to expect when you're expecting is a hard read for me for some reason and I REALLY need help. Is there anyway to get info that is specific and easy to find online?

FirstTimeMom224

Asked by FirstTimeMom224 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I really like the babycenter.com week by week progression and found it most helpful. I didn't get much out of the what to expect, it was just too hard to deal with. HOWEVER there is one out there called Eating Well While You're Expecting or something along those lines. Someone ordered it and bought it for me and I found that to be filled with lots of great and healthy recipes and tips.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• 1. Throw that book in the trash! It should be titled "What to Expect for Nincompoops".
    2. Go get some good books about pregnancy and childbirth: Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, Birthing from within..... They may be a little heavy, but YOU WILL NEVER MAKE A BETTER INVESTMENT THAN EDUCATING YOURSELF ABOUT WHAT YOUR BODY IS DOING AND WILL DO IN CHIDBIRTH! Knowledge is power, and I don't know any better way to take away the nervousness.
    3. Relax. Your body is doing what it was made to do, you are experiencing the greatest fulfillment of womanhood! There is so much to be excited about!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You can read another book, get an idea of your preferences & ideals.
    Interview providers, hire the one you feel is best.
    Get into birth classes, more reading, get support (birth doula).
    Work on becoming confident!

There are plenty of ways to go about this. Reading another book like Ina May's Guide To Childbirth can be a better start~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE - there is TONS of info on there. I am a doula - you can contact me anytime, chicky. DONT BE SCARED!
    www.crowninglotus.com
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 1:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Thank you so much ladies. I was just on a website for Doulas and I saw a water birth and I am wondering if it is that pieceful for all moms who have done it. Also, it appeared as though the baby came out in just two or three pushes, and that she (the mom) didn't tear or require an episiotimy (sp). I might ask about that. Everyone tells me there is no reason to be scared but that I need to become more educated about childbirth.
    FirstTimeMom224

Comment by FirstTimeMom224 (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Nov. 7, 2010