Following up on the Global witchhunt how much do you know about the Irish Midwives problem?

Babies, mothers and midwives in Dail picket over threat to choice in childbirth On Thursday 4th November the Nurses and Midwives Bill 2010 moves to Committee stage in the Dail. AIMS Ireland and other birth support groups are picketing the Dail at 11 am on Wednesday, November 3rd to highlight their concerns about the Bill.
The Bill will effectively remove a woman’s right to choose how she gives birth. ‘Section 40 as worded amounts effectively to a breach of the European Convention of Human Rights’ said Krysia Lynch, Co-Chair AIMSI. ‘Like the Constitution, the Convention is seen as protecting the right to bodily integrity. Section 40 in effects breaches women’s right to bodily integrity in childbirth.’ AIMS Ireland has called for a stay of execution on Section 40 until the controversial insurance criteria it underpins are AIMS Ireland (Association for Improvements in the Maternity Services)

whichwitch

Asked by whichwitch at 1:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I had no idea about the 9-5 thing! That is absurd! Under those conditions I would likely want a home birth as well. I already feel that the induction/ c-section rates are out of control these days, especially here in the US. I'm not sure if it's an International phenomenon as well....? As for me, I had contractions at home for hours until my water broke around midnight and I headed to the hospital.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• This is the first time I've heard anything about this, but I do have to say that this is the kind of thing that happens when the government thinks it knows better than the individual. You end up with laws like this that take away the freedom of the individual. I hope that their resistance to the bill has some sort of effect on the decision.

I for one, am extremely happy that I decided to have a hospital birth because I ended up having complications... but I know a lot of people who have greatly enjoyed home births (my sister included), and I stand by the right of the woman to choose their birthing experience in this matter.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have yet to hear any results as it seems a very large crowd of noisy students took over the place. They also have a right to protest but judging from the video I have just viewed it looked violent - cant make a judgement about that and who did what first. The only way our issue would be in the papers would be for a midwife to also be arrested or knocked about it seems.

We have been putting pen to paper on behalf of Ireland and signed their petition here in Australia. Thank you for your comment. There are many many stories about the coercion on women to have 9-5pm obstetric intervention with threats to the mother that their "baby might die" if you are not induced odd reasons are given Induction often leads to caesarean birth. I hear these stories in Australia as a lactation consultant and midwife. Resistance is difficult for mothers and fathers to be - some do resist the pressure and produce a healthy baby of 3-4 kg.
    whichwitch

Comment by whichwitch (original poster) at 2:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2010