are you keeping your thermostat low this winter to save $?

Mine is on 65 and that's LOW for me because I get cold very easily. I'm trying to keep our electric bill i control. I kept it on 67 last winter and it was still outrageous!!!! Anyone have any tips for sealing the house?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well I WAS going to suggest that you get an electric heater, but it sounds like you have electric heat not gas. We're trying to keep our gas bill down for the heat and so I have it set at 70, low for us I'm an icecube and then we're planning to use space heaters.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We keep out house at 65 year round, that's just where we like it... So, no, for us, that's not low, but it is where we keep the thermostat... So far we haven't turned the heat on yet at all... We are supposed to get our first snow tonight though, so we may turn it on this weekend or so...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ours was a lot lower and our bill was still over $200 a month.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I rarely turn it on. Right now, in northen california, we've had our rainy days but it's still sunny for the most part and definitely not cold enough to crank on the heat. Usually the only time I use the heat is late december to late january. other than that it doesn't get too cold. But we'll see, the weather may change and be really cold this year
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We keep it lower at nIght anyway. During the day I have two ceramic heaters. Keep one in our living room and the other in the kids playroom.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:07 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We keep ours at 68 in the winter and then have a wood stove that we use to heat the house on extremely cold days.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had to give in and turn the heat on the other day cuz it's been in the 20's here in the morning and 50's and cold for the day (in NJ). I've been keeping my thermostat on 67-68 but I'm afraid to see the bill!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, i have always heard that no matter where you keep your thermostat that it will kick on so I want to stay warm. I hate being cold and I hate getting sick so I keep ours at 72 while we are home and 64 when we are not
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You betcha I am!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We always do...simply because we like it on the cool side in our home and use our fireplace a lot! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010