Can you admit your party has behaved badly?

I am an Obama Mama and I can admit a few of us get out of hand with the bashing. I have also seen OMs scolding each other for crossing the line. In the Obama Mamas group there are posts about keeping it positive.

On the other hand... I have only seen a couple of Republicans admit McCain supporters have gone too far. And those were people who aren't too thrilled with McCain. Every day I see McCain supporters insisting Democrats are hateful and do all the bashing.
Can you admit that you've seen people who support your candidate (who ever it is) get nasty and be mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• 11:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 by: Anonymous

LOL msmoody is one of the ones that is that way. I have read a lot of crap and smears from her.

Give me an example of anything I've posted that wasn't based on facts. It shouldn't be that hard to do a search of my posts, I always put my name behind them. But then, i have nothing to hide..
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 4:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Obviously I'm biased, but I'd like to know hoe other people see it. Especially anyone who's not affiliated with either party.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm just about the only person I know on here who is voting for my candidate of choice.... I'm pretty sure the only thing I've bothered to say in any political debate around here is that I don't agree with either of the main party's candidates and have named who I'm voting for.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I have seen a couple of caricatures (sp?) or cartoons that were uncalled for. What I can't stand is the stuff about Palin's kids. That's uncalled for. Some times ppl dig to the absolute bottom to dig up issues to take the focus off what we all need to be concerned about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Oh absolutely! We have a very large group and one of our first admonitions is to "rise above" the foolishness of berating a person, using foul and inappropriate language, and name calling. Tactics like calling names simply shows a persons lack of self control, as well as a lack of real intelligence. I tell them to debate the issues, but also to show respect to other posters. I have seen obvious republican mama's behaving badly, but frankly, up until just recently, my experience on cafemom was to view more ridiculous language coming from Obama posters. But that's not to say on individual group sites, that the ratio is not diff.  

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Of course there have been incidents on both sides, but I've seen more smears and flat-out lies posted from the Republicans..just here on CM.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 11:10 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• msmoody, did you mean "not just here on CM?"

It's been posted over and over how many false smears the McCain campaign has spread.  Yes, both parties have been busted for lies in campaigning, but McCain had been over twice as many times.  When you consider Obama is showing so many more ads than him you realize that most of Obama's ads are pretty accurate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm not one party or the other. I have voted for democrats, republicans, independents, and write-ins. I have ONE issue that matters to me and I vote according to that issue; if there happens to be 2 candidates that agree on this ONE issue (which tends to happen locally) then I move on to the 2nd issue that matters to me. I don't really watch the hype nor do I really care to get involved: After all I already have picked the person I'm voting for; so the hype is jut that hype. Although, if I see something, that is a little off balance I'll say so: The woman not giving candy to Obama Supporters, she was off her rocker to punish children for their parent's choice. more next post.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• At the same time, I'm not afraid to question simple observations that I've seen: such as what appeared TO me to be the lack of costumes on Obama's kids when he took them trick or treating; and if it was a news clip of Palin and her children, I would post the same thing....just because it was my observation. (I just think if kids go out for trick or treating they should be dressed up; I even saw teenagers in my neighborhood and I commented to my 7 year old that if teenagers ago out they "should" be dressed up; and as I said if Obama's kids are dressed up and I'm just blind to it then I'm sorry.) People do get very passionate about their beliefs and what they support, and it's great to have that kind of passion, but it's nuts to hammer it over someones head, no matter what you can't hammer your beliefs into (or onto) someone else.......
    SAHMinIL

• Of course, in a heated campaign where people really care about what is happening it can't be any other way. There are to many people with too many different personalities for it to be any other way.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 1, 2008