My DH just informed me he bought cell phones for my SD and SS that are only 5 and 8 yrs!!

I understand him wanting to communicate more with them with is great but I think they should only be allowed to have little kid cell phones that have a few buttons and only mom, dad and 911 can be called etc. Not where anyone can call them and they can call any number they want.. and God forbid they have internet.. I haven't asked but lets pray they dont!

He bought them like $200 phones .. actually nicer than the ones we have and to me it just doesnt make any sense. Kids lose and break toys.. why does he think these nice phones will be any different. When does he think they are going to be carrying these phones around??.. and where does an 8 and 5 year old carry a phone?? In my opinion this wont help him talk to them any more often than he gets ahold of their mom to talk to them.

Anyone have an opinion about this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i dont feel ids undr 14 or 15 should have cell phones just me
    strictmomhere

Answer by strictmomhere at 3:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree - kids that young shouldn't have the responsibilty of phones. I can see where he thought it might be a good idea, but I don't think it's going to turn out for him the way he thinks it will. The money is spent, so it's done. Just be there to remind him that the kids were too young when he's fuming because the phones have become lost or broken.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have a 12 year old he still doesn't have one. Keep telling him he won't for a few more years so quit nagging me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:04 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Wow, no way. AT&T make those special one for kids....
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It looks to me that he thinks that since he bought the kids something that you didn't He's on top of the world- Just to let him know - big deal! It doesn't count as child support. Also, If I was you I would let the kids know that they can only have it after school- Our school has a phone policy and I can't see why they would need a phone in school when they are suppose to be listening to the teacher anyways.
    Your ex- seems to be under the illusion that he has the upper hand- - Personally I would tell the boys that the phones need to be left at the dads house so they will have them when they are with him, since he has a hard time keeping up with them- beccause when they are with you, you know that AT&T is available. Unless he shut that off as well.
    good luck
    Love & Prayers~
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 4:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We just found out while carpooling that a second grader in our son's class has a cell phone. Our kid doesn't even remember to bring his jacket back every day, no way am I trusting him with a cell phone. Not to mention, he doesn't need one anyway.

Don't be surprised if he can't reach his kids. If that were my household, those cell phones would be confiscated. My house, my rules. He can't control what goes on in the other household.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• That'd be fightin' words in this house.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2010