A "National Security Force"?

Obama is saying that we "need" a national security force and that he intends to "create" this new protection force. Isn't that what the NATIONAL GUARD is? This just seems to sound a bit too fishy.

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 10:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The National Guard, the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States and one of the nation's longest-enduring institutions, and will celebrate its 372th birthday on December 13, 2008. The National Guard traces its history back to the earliest English colonies in North America.
    I have been researching answers for this question and I seriously doubt BO/Biden can do away with our National Guard and start a new one. Btw, where is all this funding coming from? If there are over 500,000 Active Duty Army alone, hundreds of thousands in the National Guard, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Navy, and Reserve. If we are in debt and BO already stated he would "cut" military funding, he even voted for it in 2007, how is it he will come up with the BIllions of dollars it would take to put into place a Military establishment such as it? There are too many in Congress who would not allow this to pass.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 9:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• This is the first step to installing a quasi-military police force under the control of the president. This is how dictators take over, slowly until the very end when BAM! there is a dictator instead of a democratic government. I would be VERY CAREFUL whom I vote for next Tuesday, if you haven't already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Didn't Hitler create a citizen force? I haven't studied or researched this but if my memory serves me correctly, Hitler created a citizen force where adutls, down to even young teens were recruited to "police" the people. The attempt was to rally the masses and feel good about their leader, to commit to the leader and give their allegiance. At the same time, it seems like it also created a division which meant that people were "reporting" citizens who weren't exactly on board with the new regime. Am I remembering this correctly?

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I think you need to read more about it, McCain's ideas on this are very similar.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 11:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• He wants to make a Citizen Force so he can be in control of it. He can't be in control of the Military National Guard, b/c, we already have General's leading it. Plus, you don't want someone with absolutely NO Military experience to lead our current National Guard. That's like asking a 6 year old to babysit. You wouldn't do that, so why would you vote for someone who thinks he can run a force like that?

My husbands been in the National Guard for 9years now. If BO thinks he's going to re-make our military, he'll get out. I wouldn't trust an inexperience man like him to lead my husband.

mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 11:15 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• OH and Hitler did start a Citizen Force similar to the one BO is planning.
    mrstremblay

• My question is, who's going to join this?? Will it be all the rejects who got kicked out of the Military or couldn't pass the Police Officer's test? Not trying to be rude. But, who would actually join something like this?

Would you go to a college that only offered professors that never graduated High school? Or take lessons about cooking from someone who has never turned on a stove?
    Sounds like a great big American Gang to me. Lets give people power and weapons who have never trained a day in their life.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 11:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• if you watched the forum on 9/11 he elaborated on this.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• "heatherama if you watched the forum on 9/11 he elaborated on this"  So sorry, I didn't. Can you elaborate? 

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I asked a question about this before too. He mentioned it once in a speech. From the contents of the speech it seems to be referring to a group doing "charity" type work - with a budget and personel base to equal the military. He doesn't say what the group will do exactly, the "good works" part is implied but he does state that it will have the same budget and resources as the military. He also does not state where he is going to get the 800 billion dollars to fund it each year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008