How can I tell my family that I PLAN on having a natural delivery?

I keep getting negative comments from people that I thought were my support group. I have told them I understand this most likely will be the most painful experience I will endure, but I am preparing for it. Wommen have been doing this for years before the wonders of modern medicine. We are made for this. I just am having trouble supporting my argument when I keep getting negative feedback. They think I am crazy and I am too much of a baby to handle it.

way2cute

Asked by way2cute at 3:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can make plans all you want but if the baby has other plans don't be discouraged by a cesarean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Just don't discuss it or bring it up. If they bring it up, tell them politely to mind their own.

Make sure you have a 1 or 2 GOOD support people there for the birth... a good midwife or doula can be the difference between surviving natural childbirth and actually enjoying it. Make sure hubby is on board and make him a part of the experience.

You'll do fine.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I give you all props becuase it's something I could never do. As stated have good people there to help support you and if your family can't be those people perhaps it's best to just not tell them and have them wait in the waiting room vs. with you.
    My only advice is plan for natural but don't be agianst a little help if you need it. My sister was going to go all natural with her duaghter and after 10 hours when she stopped progressing they gave her pitosin to help things along and she ended up getting an epidrual becuase of it. So if the something like that happens, just, know that it's really okay to have some meds.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had a natural birth and it was awesome. You just have to tell yourself when you're in labor that the pain WILL go away and that its temporary. My best friend told me after I gave birth that I was her hero lol. Anyone who doesn't support YOUR decision should not be opening their mouth. It's your baby and body. If they have a problem with it then they can go have their own baby. I don't know why people think they can just say whatever they feel like to pregnant women and new mothers. Don't let anyone tell you what's right for you.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If this is something you really want and you go ahead with it then people have no choice but to offer support if they care about you. Stick to your guns and do what you want, so what if it doesn't go to plan and you need pain releif after all, at least you tired! good luck :)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• people always have something negative to say about it. Well u know what? Its not that bad at all! Since you are preparing yourself mentally for it, you will do awesome! I got alot of smartass comments from everyone I know, and that made me want to prove them wrong....lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Well just dont care wht they say. If they ask just say youll see when you get to it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't bother discussing it. I've had two natural child births, and frankly have had worse period cramps. It wasn't bad for me. Some people have a different experience, you just never know.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• In the end it doesn't matter what other people's thoughts are on the matter. All that matters is that you are doing what you want to do. I am planning on having a natural childbirth as well and I have had some people tell me that I'm crazy and some tell me that they commend me for what I'm planning. Some people just don't understand why I would want to endure all that pain and that's fine they don't have to understand. For me all that matters is that my DH supports me and is ready to help me when the time comes. Good luck and don't let what anyone else says get to you.
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You don't have to tell them anything! Your plan is between you and your doc and your partner. Those are the only opinions that matter. If anyone offers you anything but support just say, Thank you but I will only be accepting postive feedback, I respect your right to disagree, please accept my right to make this personal decision for myself.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 2:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2010