For those who had natural delivery, what were your reasons?

Why did you opt for natural? Did you have support? Would you do it again? What things did you do to prepare? What did you tell people when they said you are crazy??? I know everything doesn't go as planned and I am open for changes. But I do plan on having a natural delivery and I want to hear from other women who actually have gone through it. Thank you

way2cute

Asked by way2cute at 3:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I planned for natural with my son but ended up using the gas and air so maybe that's not as natural as you would thnk, depends on how you think I guess? But I did find that my son was very alert after delivery, I waqs also calm and relaxed, didn't tear and recovered super fast. I had him in a midwife led unit so wasn't really interfered with and found it a great help having a midwife just sit with me and offer support that way. My current pregnancy I am planning on home birth with a midwife, obviously yes things can change I may end up in hospital but hopefully not, I'm also going to aim to use no pain releif except a TENs machine BUT if I have to use the gas again I will. I think its about being in control and comfortable with your choices, Ive brough lots of people round to my way of thinking and no feel fully supported so good luck with whatever happens
    :)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I didn't "plan" on having a natural birth, lol! But, my daughter (2nd child) had different plans. By the time we got to the hospital I was already 10cm dialated and ready to push. If I ever have another baby I will def. try to do all natural again. I didn't tear at all, my baby was awake & ready to breastfeed immediately after birth, and within 10-15 mins. after delivery I was already up walking around. It felt awesome compared to my first where I was stuck in a hospital bed, with a catheter & an epidural. After he was born he mainly slept & I was in no condition to get out of the bed anytime soon. Natural birth is definitely an amazing experience!
    armywife0212

Answer by armywife0212 at 6:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• my 1st I had the epidural, my second I had nothing bc she came too fast (I was really freaked out!) My 3rd I chose to have nothing from the start, and it was great.....I was calmer bc it had been my choice all along. Your body works so much better and the baby comes alot quicker if you dont interfere. Everyone gave me crap about it, and even the nurses kept trying to push it on me, but I told them to leave me alone and let me do it. I felt great after! Good Luck!!!!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had a natural birth for all three of mine, and planned it that way. As long as there were no complications and nothing to be concerned about during my pregnancies, I was considered low risk. All of mine were born in a birth center, with a nurse and a midwife present. I chose to go natural (no drugs, no IV's, etc) because I wanted to be able to listen to my body and not dull my senses, or possibly hurt my babies. It was the best feeling in the world to know exactly what my body was ready to do and not have someone telling me "it's time to push now." I liked getting to do what felt natural, walking to ease the discomfort and help with dilation, eating when I felt hungry and to keep my energy up, squatting during contractions really lessened the pain but still allowed the contractions to do their job... And the best part was not being stuck, hooked to monitors, laying in bed with nothing to do but feel every pain.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My last birth wasn't as natural as I would have liked, but it was with out pain meds. I loved how alert my dd was, and that I was able to get up and move around much quicker afterwards. The rush of love I felt after having her was amazing, it was really dulled after the birth of my first two. With this child, I'll be avoiding all interventions!
    airadan

Answer by airadan at 9:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I had a naural delivery bc my monitor was broken and I was in active labor for ten hours before they noticed I was having contractions. There was no time for any pain relief.....I will def be having the epidural this time. It was an awful back labor and I am not looking forward to another. Kudos to those willing to do it again. I am too chicken.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 2:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My 3rd was my first natural labor and childbirth, it was an eye opener! I had no idea that I could actually do that! Since then they have all been drug free. It's amazing the difference you feel. Every woman can do it! Just need good support! Get a Doula!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I first thought about natural birth because the doctor I'd been seeing was a naturopath, and she was really great about explaining all my options. I opted for it because I am terrified of hospitals and knew I wouldn't be able to relax in one. When I asked my midwife what she thought because I was afraid of my low pain tolerance, she told me bluntly that if I didn't think I could do it, I wouldn't be able to. Fortunately, I decided to tell myself I could, and I'm glad I did. Because my labor was a solid 24 hours of very painful contractions, I wound up having a small dose of something that basically took the edge off so I could sleep before for a little bit before I was ready to push. We did a water birth in a birthing center, which was the best decision we could have made. My daughter (now 2 1/2) was a perfect, beautiful, healthy, alert 7 lb baby, and I'm pregnant again, ready to do it the same way. Good luck!
    grace727

Answer by grace727 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All three of my deliveries were natural. I was 17 when I had my first and at that time it was less a fear of the pain and more a fear of a needle in my spine. Now, though, after being a doula and witnessing all aspects of labor and hearing many stories on the subject I find that more women experience medical interventions that don't work more often than they do. People can say what they will, but, if they haven't experienced natural labor - or even tried to, then how can they even try to say anything?

You can check out my website for many different aspects of natural labor and the best ways to obtain it (find it on my profile). Also, read Ina May's Guide To Childbirth and practice Yoga and breathing excersises.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 5:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2010