How did you choose the name(s) for your child(ren)?

What were the factors that helped you choose your child's name? What is the origin of why you chose it? Family name? Favorite book? Appease the hubby? What made you name your child what you named your child.

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 4:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Baby Names

• We named our daughter Scarlett Abigail. I've had my first daughter's name picked out since I was a freshman in high school. Luckily I married a man who loves the name as much as I do. I got "Scarlett" from the actress, Scarlett Pomers, that plays in the TV Show "Reba." I didn't name my daughter after the actress, I just saw the name Scarlett and thought it was absolutely beautiful. I got "Abigail" from a character on the soap opera "Days of Our Lives." If our daughter turned out to be a boy, his name would've been Brayden Thomas. We got it from online, babynames.com I think.

Our next child will be named after family members. If it's a girl, her name will be Olivia Eindy and if it's a boy, his name will be Oliver Liam. Oliver/Olivia was my FIL's middle name, Eindy was my MIL's middle name and Liam was the last four letters of my grandfather's first name, William. They are all deceased and are special to us.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We named our son Gavin Riley. Up until the day he was born we weren't sure if Riley was going to be his first name or middle name. But as soon as he came out, we knew he was a Gavin. I always liked the name, since I was younger and got in to the band Bush (Gavin Rossdale). DH swears that is not where we got the name, but I know deep down that is where the idea came from lol
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I've always liked the name Jonah, and it came up when I was pregnant. Brian (his middle name) is my brother's name. We also added Shimoda to his middle name, because DS has it as part of his middle name, and it's my MIL's maiden name. So Jonah Brian Shimoda.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• it took me a couple months to figure out a name but then I wanted to name him Andrew Dean, Andrew after my grandfather, Dean after my dad, but neither my husband or my dad liked the name Dean, so then it took me another month to think of a middle name, and I kinda gave up and went with my husbands name, Andrew Ryan. but then it ended up kind of causing a problem because my uncle's a Jr, and he thought I named my son after him..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• With my first I debated between Hailey and Aria. Well I had talked to my niece one day about the names and she stuck with baby Hailey, so that is what we went with. Now my second is named Aria. I wanted Aria because I went to school for vocal performance and I loved singing Arias (songs in operas.)
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 6:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I guess I found this very unique name because I heard it a few times. I kept it between me and my SO and did not let anyone elses opinion effect my decision on what my sons name would be.

I did not use books, search engines, nothing. We would just lay down and go thru names and the one that made us feel the best is the one we chose
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Our 1st little one - We just Loved the first name and her being our 1st born - she had to have my middle name.Our 2nd little one - Dad picked out the middle name and we decided to go with an Irish first name. Dad is Irish. Our 3rd little one - I fell in love with the first name, we forgot to choose a middle name. Dad had just watched a Documentary on Australia. So we decided on Sydney for a middle name...

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Here's the odd thing - we didn't mean to do, but noticed... All three girls have a Double Letter in their 1st name. Jessica, Brenna, Alyssa and end with the letter ''A'' ....
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I've had names picked out since I was little, I felt destined to be a mom :) However, all of those names don't exactly sit well with my bf lol
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son was named after his dad so I didn't have to think at all! Some family tradition!
    I named my daughter after a favorite actress I had as a child. Always loved the name.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2010